Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday, June 7th

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Psalm 139-141, John 17

The beginning of Psalm 139 reminds us of how intimately God knows us. He knows every thought, before we even think it. We can't hide anything from Him. And yet He loves us anyway! Amazing!

And then some of the most beautiful (and oft quoted!) verses...
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:13-16


Beautiful words that speak to the intimacy of God's creative powers when He lovingly creates His image bearers. And His works are wonderful!! YOU are that work. YOU are wonderful. The fact that God created YOU, and created YOU in His image is where your true self-worth and self-identity comes from.

You are loved. intimately. by the Creator of the universe.

We were created to have an intimate relationship with Him, to glorify Him and to find fulfillment in Him alone.
For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. Colossians 1:16

For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen. Romans 11:36

Tomorrow's passage: Psalm 143-145, John 18:1-18

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

We are doing our VBS based off of Psalm 139. I find this psalm so comforting, just that the Lord thinks so much of us and we think so very little. Great thoughts. It is a shame we don't see ourselves as the Lord sees us.

Pamela said...

I've always loved this verse because a VBS did a devotion where we got the kids to try and count grains of sand.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.

It was a tangible lesson for the kids...and the leaders!

Miriam said...

I have stars beside Psalm 139 in my Bible from way back when. I love that Psalm too.

Somehow I don't at all remember Jesus' prayer in John 17 from last year at all. I really noticed how he talked about unity among believers: "May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." Ouchie. I find that a little (a lot) convicting. Anyone else?