Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday - April 4, Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Deuteronomy 30-31 and Luke 8:1-25

Happy Monday!

Deuteronomy 30
11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

These verses stuck out to me today - along with some others! I love this verse, because God calls us to obey, but also offer us His word nearby - in our mouths and hearts - so we are able to obey!

19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

These verses tell us we can CHOOSE life. God has set before us and within us, HIS word, but it is still OUR choice to follow and to teach his word to our children. As for the line "For the Lord is your life". Is He my life? Do I make him FIRST and hold fast to Him. Yes, at times I do, but I must daily choose life, because each and every moment, life and death are set before me. Not just in the hard and traumatic moments of life, but in the ordinary, every day opportunities to live.

Deutoronomy 31
Mosses says goodbye. The Lord has told him that his work is done with the Israelites and that God will go before them. I love the encouragement that Moses gives to Joshua in verse 7-8
 7 Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, “Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the LORD swore to their forefathers to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance. 8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

My NIV Study Bible says in the notes "By trusting in the Lord and obeying Him, his followers would be victorious in spite of great obstacles." We not only have to trust in the Lord, but we also must obey (often harder than trust!). And we are not protected from obstacles, however we will be victorious in spite of them! How encouraging is that?!

Praying everyone has a great week!


Tomorrow's passage: Deuteronomy 32-34 and Luke 8:26-56

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I loved all those verse too.

This time, it really hit me that Moses was making his "farewell speech" and how emotional that must have been for him. After all this time leading his people, encouraging them to be strong, courageous and faithful as they would go ahead into the promised land, while he would not. And then, when God told him how much they would mess up. Ugh. Such an emotional time!

Miriam said...

I'm sure Moses' farewell speech was sad and difficult. I found it a little humorous though, when he said "For I know how rebellious and stiff-necked you are. If you have been rebellious against the LORD while I am still alive and with you, how much more will you rebel after I die!" Sounds like parent who knows that when they're not around the kids will try things out that they're not supposed to do. It amazed me with my first child at how young an age he started looking over his shoulder to see if I was looking, and if he thought I wasn't he'd try something he knew he wasn't supposed to.

Great post, Jody! I especially liked your thoughts on choosing every day.

Pamela said...

Great post! I like that you highlighted 30:11 "Now what I am commanding you is not too difficult or beyond your reach". What a great reminder that God will not give us more than we can handle.

This verse stood out for me:
30:4 Even if you have been banished to the most distant land under the heavens, from there the LORD your God will gather you and bring you back.

Wherever we are and no matter how far we have strayed-God wants to and will bring us back to Him. Awesome!