Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November 30 - Miriam

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 2 Corinthians 6:14-10:18.

OK, so right off the bat we have the "yoked with unbelievers" verses... particularly applicable to me, as my husband is not a Christian.  It definitely makes things more difficult in some ways, especially with our children.  My husband does not make snide remarks or discourage them from reading stories from the Bible or going to church, however if the children bring him a Bible story book to read to them, he tells them that they should bring it to me.  Generally speaking, we have a very strong marriage and we avoid arguments about this issue by simply not discussing it at all.  There are times, however, when I wish that I could discuss spiritual things with him, or tell him things that I've learned from our reading and blogging over the course of this year.  There are times where I wish he did come to church with us so that it would be something we do together as a family, not to mention the fact that it's not always easy getting three kids ready and to church and Sunday School by myself.  There were times when the boys were younger and didn't attend Sunday School yet when we simply stayed home, especially in winter, because it seemed like so much work to go.  Now that they're in Sunday School, however, I make sure we go unless someone is sick.  Recently our younger son has started saying occasionally that he wants to stay home with Dad.  So far I've managed each time to get him to come to church anyway, but I can see it becoming more difficult in the future.  All I can do is hope and pray that during these years when he's young and comes with me relatively willingly, he will learn to love God and want to continue as he gets older.

I guess all that is to say that I definitely have it easier that some believers who have non-Christian spouses; I love my husband dearly, and without him I wouldn't have the three amazing, beautiful, smart, funny children that bless my life and drive me just a little crazy, so while I can't bring myself to say that I shouldn't have married him, I can see how there would be some significant benefits to being married to someone who shared my faith.

The other passage that stood out to me was 2 Corinthians 9:6-11:

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written:

“They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.”

Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

In Keeping Your Commitments, Bob Deffinbaugh has this to say regarding the above verses:

In introducing the principle of sowing and reaping here in our text, Paul informs us that giving away some of what we have is the means by which God provides more for us to give. The one who sows sparingly, reaps sparingly. The one who sows bountifully, reaps bountifully. According to the principle of sowing and reaping, to give generously is the way to have an abundant return. The key to sowing bountifully is to delight in doing so. The reason we sow sparingly is because we sow begrudgingly. What we enjoy doing (giving generously), we do more abundantly. What we dislike intensely, we avoid. And so Paul urges the Corinthians to give generously, out of a heart filled with gratitude and joy.

Giving generously is not only to be an act of joy, it must also be an act of faith. Let’s face it, when we give generously to the poor, it would seem there is no way we will ever see anything in return. But Paul introduces a second principle of giving: When we sow generously, God allows us to reap bountifully, so that we may be able to give even more.

Giving generously is giving graciously. When we show grace to others by giving generously, God replenishes our grace, so that we have yet more to give (verse 8). God graciously provides for us to be gracious, as we exercise grace toward others in generosity. It is He who “supplies and multiplies our seed for sowing” (verse 10).

Like most spiritual principles, this principle is just the opposite of what we would naturally think and practice with regard to generosity. We believe we can show generosity to others only after we have obtained all that we think we need for ourselves. I am willing to give to others, once I am assured that I have enough for myself. But I never quite reach the point where I think I have enough for myself, and so I keep postponing my generosity to others. Paul tells me that I must first be generous to others, and then after I have sown generously, God will cause me to reap in abundance, so that I may give even more. I must give joyfully and in faith, looking to God to provide for my own needs, as well as for my continuing generosity to others.  (emphasis mine)

It's hard to give generously when you're feeling like there isn't enough to go around.  It's part of our nature to want to make sure we have what we need first, before sharing with others.  But then I think of some of the episodes of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" that I've seen, where people who have little, often less than we have, are doing and sharing with those around them regardless... I can think of one family that was living in what I can only describe as a hovel, and yet they helped and cared for others in their community selflessly and without complaint. 

When we sow generously, God allows us to reap bountifully, so that we may be able to give even more.

Tomorrow's passage: 2 Corinthians 11-13:13 and Acts 20:7-12

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Forgive me if this offends, but I'm saying it in the spirit of iron sharpening iron.

Saying you shouldn't have married your husband, truthfully depends on your spiritual state at the time of your marriage.

If you were not a Christian and he wasn't either - then there was no issue with marrying him. The fact that you became a Christian afterwards and he did not, definitely does not mean that you should divorce him (1 Cor 7), but it does mean that there will be struggles, as you mentioned in your post.

However, if you were a Christian and he was not then the true, hard answer is no, you should not have married him, no matter how much you loved him.

But even though the initial decision would've been wrong, NOW the right decision is to continue in the marriage as 1 Cor 7 details, making the best of the situation - exactly like you are currently doing. And of course you will cherish the love you have and the children you have and all the rest of that. And that's what's so amazing about God - He can still use us despite our past mistakes. He can still bless us.

Acknowledging that the original decision was wrong would not make light of the love you share currently, and it would not be a betrayal of your spouse.

How we feel about something has nothing to do with whether it's right or wrong. The only One who can determine right and wrong is God. No matter how much we may wish it to be otherwise.

Agreeing with God that it is sin, repenting of the sin and then marveling that God uses everything for the good of those who love Him, even our mistakes.

Miriam said...

I'm not offended at all. Of course you are correct in saying how we feel about something has nothing to do with whether it is right or wrong. Thanks for the perspective.