Friday, January 18, 2019

Friday, January 18th: Genesis 37:1-38:30, Matthew 12:22-45, Psalm 16:1-11, Proverbs 3:27-32 ~ Emma

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is  Genesis 37:1-38:30, Matthew 12:22-45, Psalm 16:1-11, Proverbs 3:27-32

I noticed that Joseph was 17 years old during the events in today's reading, which is something I haven't noticed before. Since I'm currently still 17, I imagined myself as Joseph a little more this time as I read. I couldn't imagine being sold into slavery, being betrayed by my siblings, and thinking I would never see my family again.  What faith Joseph must have had in the Lord.

The other thing was, I notice that almost every time there is a sexual sin committed, the woman (in this case, Tamar) is almost always the one blamed, and it is usually by the man (in this case, Judah). I always find this very sad, and often get angry at the men like Judah who act like such hypocrites. But, this makes me think, how many times have I acted just like these men, where I sin the same sin as someone else but only call them out for it without taking any blame for myself? The answer is probably a lot. Thankfully, it looks like Judah realized he was also guilty of sin in this story, and so should we be willing to admit when we have done something wrong.

We should always remember that anything anyone does is no worse than what we have done to Jesus. And yet, He still chose to set us free from the hurt we caused Him.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Genesis 39:1-41:16, Matthew 12:46-13:23, Psalm 17:1-15, Proverbs 3:33-35

1 comment:

Tammy said...

A good reminder to take all sin (not just the "big" ones) seriously.

Joseph's faith, and his trust in God's faithfulness, is inspiring.