Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Tuesday, October 2: Isaiah 49-51, James 4 - Danae


Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Isaiah 49-51, James 4

I love the book of James. Every part of it is so practical, so convicting, setting in me a desire to live better & honour God more.

The verse & application that really stood out to me today was verse 3

3 And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. 

How much time do I spend in prayer? Do I only pray when I need/want something? Do I only pray to ask God to bless the plans that I have (made on my own)?

My Bible reference says it this way:
4:2-3 James mentions the most common problems in prayer: not asking, asking for the wrong things, asking for the wrong reasons. Do you talk to God at all? When you do, what do you talk about? Do you ask only to satisfy your desires? Do you seek God’s approval for what you already plan to do? Your prayers will become powerful when you allow God to change your desires so that they perfectly correspond to his will for you (1 John 3:21-22). 

Do I seek God first, asking for his direction without trying to convince him of mine.  I need to seek his will for my life, not ask him to bless my will or plans.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Isaiah 52-54, James 5

No comments: