This is one of those passages that screams at me, “you say you’re a Christian, now how is that changing you?”
Pastor Ron’s message on Sunday just really sinks in together with this passage & really makes me think:
I am a Christian but where’s my heart at?
- Are my actions in line with my heart?
- Do I just do the right thing because that’s what I’m to do (possibly even just to have others think more highly of me)?
- Do I do the right thing all the while having negative thoughts toward the person or situation?
- OR Do I follow Christ with everything in me & is my heart’s desire to genuinely obey his teachings?
- Am I genuine or am I just acting it out?
…”if anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, & the servant of all”
- I need to look to serve; get rid of my pride & humble myself
- I need Love – it’s not good enough to just sit in the director’s chair or just hand out money from the comfort of your home – I need to look for ways to help others; get involved, get my hands dirty
“I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.”
- The least is the greatest
- Only when my heart is truly humbled before God & I genuinely serve him, will I find true value in my faith
“Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves & be at peace with each other”
- I need to make a difference in this world
- If I’m just “going through the motions” of acting Christian, it won’t carry me
- I need to intently seek God, make him the lover of my soul, so that I can be shaped from the inside out
- At that point, my actions will hold true value
The more time I spend seeking God, the more my heart will align with his & my actions will become completely genuine.