Thursday, January 26, 2017

Thursday, January 26th: Exodus 14-15; Matthew 17 - Deena

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Exodus 14-15; Matthew 17

One of the topics in the NT reading today was about having faith. Webster defines faith as complete trust, unquestioning belief.

I want to share a personal story about my faith. About 6 years ago our son Baret was really sick. It came out of no where. No prior medical conditions, nothing. So sick that the doctors told us he was going to die. IF he were to live they told us he would have no quality of life. Devastating time for us. There came a time when a couple of people told me that they had told Baret that if he sees Jesus he should go. This was very hard for me. I felt like I had surrendered my child to God, but to be honest I was more like, say hi to Jesus and you'll see Him again in 80'years. This was a very difficult time in my walk with God. I still had faith in Him, but I wanted it my way. God is good, He gave me time, and eventually I was able to fully surrender my child to God, not knowing if he was going to live or die, but knowing that God was in control. My faith was tested then and has continued to be at different times, but God is always there and loves us more then we could ever imagine!

(And for those of you who don't know our story, Baret is alive and doing very well. God granted us a miracle)

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageExodus 16-18; Matthew 18:1-20

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Baret's storey is truly a miracle, and a good reminder for us to have faith and leave things with God. However, how soon do I forget, after seeing a miracle like this, that God is great and will look after us?

Exodus 14:11
They said to Moses, “Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt?

It didn't take the Israelites long to forget God's greatness, they had seen Him perform many miracles already during the time God left the plagues on the Egyptians, but they still doubted when things got rough on their journey away from slavery. This seems unbelievable, and yet after I had seen Baret's miracle, do I still ever doubt? A good lesson in remembering God's goodness.

kjad said...

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still'" Exodus 14:14
Too often I get carried away with possible outcomes to a situation and I forget Who is in full control. This is one of my favourite verses because it reminds me that God's perfect plan is still in the making, and that all I have to do is stay calm and not worry.

Tammy said...

I like that verse too Kezia.

When our faith is rooted in God, in who He is and what He can do, we can be still and trust while we wait on Him.

So hard to do in the midst of the unknown, like in Baret's situation, but that's exactly what faith is.

Jody said...

I remember praying for Baret at the time! Another beautiful reminder of how the body of Christ works together, all our collective prayers, going to heaven and sharing in the awe of God's majesty. Our faith can grow stronger by experiencing other people's miracles as well.