Saturday, January 7, 2017

Saturday, January 7th: Genesis 20-22; Matthew 6:19-34 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Genesis 18-19; Matthew 6:1-18

Our NT passage reminds us that motive is important.

Giving to the needy, praying, and fasting should not be done with greedy or self centered motives, but should flow from a right relationship with God and a life that overflows with gratitude and trust in our loving Father.

A reminder to examine our hearts and our motives, not just our actions, words, and thoughts.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageGenesis 20-22; Matthew 6:19-34

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Matthew 6:14&15
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, 15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

A good reminder to me to forgive, and not hold long term grudges against anyone who's done wrong to me. I'm far from perfect, and need forgiveness, so why should I make it hard for someone else to be forgiven by me?

Miriam said...

Matthew 6 is one of my most favourite passages. So much good stuff there!

I sometimes find when reading familiar passages that things don't strike me the way they would if reading them for the first time, but the Sodom and Gomorrah story was refreshed for me as I read today. It really is a terrible story, and Lot was far from perfect as well, but still God saved and protected Him, in part for Abraham's sake, but also because Lot tried to do the right thing by not leaving the visitors to fend for themselves. I am thankful that God recognizes our hearts and our efforts, even when our actions fail.

kjad said...

"...your Father knows what you want before you ask him." Mathew 5:8

It's comforting to be reminded that God doesn't want us to use fancy words while praying. He already knows what we're going to pray about so instead of focusing on phrasing our prayers in the perfect way, all we need to do is talk with God and build a relationship with Him.

Jody said...

In the OT passage I was struck by how God listened to both Abraham and Lot when they voiced their concerns/opinions with His plan for
Sodom. A reminder that God hears us and cares!!