Thursday, September 1, 2016

Thursday, September 1st: Ezekiel 22-23 ~ Jeannine

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Ezekiel 22-23

Ezekiel 22 is broken into three separate messages for the people of Judah and Jerusalem. Verses 1-16 catalogues their sins and exposes the people of Jerusalem for what they are. Then in 17-22 Israel is compared to dross (the scum that forms on the surface of molten metal; waste or foreign matter; something that is base, trivial, or inferior). And finally in 23-31 the message is that since every ranking of man is taking part in the corruption the punishment will be for all.

Ezekiel 23 shows the corruption of Israel and Judah by using a metaphor of the two harlots and their lewdness.

The anger and judgement of God in the face of all this corruption is very evident in these verses and I find myself knowing that I don't ever want to find myself on that side of it.

I pray that I and those entrusted to my care, can lives so that God will never have to compare us to dross.

2,
Jeremiah 39:1, Jeremiah 52:3
-
5,
Ezekiel 24
-
25
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: 2 Kings 25:1-2, Jeremiah 39:1, Jeremiah 52:3-5, Ezekiel 24-25

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Ezekiel 22:4
you have become guilty because of the blood you have shed and have become defiled by the idols you have made. You have brought your days to a close, and the end of your years has come. Therefore I will make you an object of scorn to the nations and a laughingstock to all the countries.

I too pray that I or my family doesn't slid away from God like the Israelites did, but rather is drawn to God, wanting to serve Him more and more, seeing that He is the only way.

Tammy said...

God's judgement - as just as it is - is frightening indeed. Clearly these chapters were meant to shock the people into recognizing the gravity of sin, of their sin. So thankful for His willingness to forgive, no matter how great our sin.