Sunday, July 12, 2015

Sunday, July 12th: Psalms 4-6, Acts 9:22-43 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Psalms 4-6; Acts 9:22-43

Psalm 4:8 is a great verse to memorize to share with children when they are scared or anxious before bed....
In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

The first 4 verse of Psalm 5 always remind me of a song my parents sang and recorded on an album with a band called the Galileans....
Give ear to my words, O Lord;
consider my groaning.
2 Give attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for to you do I pray.
3 O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.

The song lyrics were...
Give ear to my words O Lord
Consider my meditation
Harken unto the voice of my cry
My King and my God
For unto Thee will I pray
My voice shalt Thou hear
In the morning
O Lord in the morning
Will I direct my prayer
Unto Thee and will look up



In Acts we aren't surprised to read that the other disciples too a little convincing to believe that Paul had become a believer.  No doubt they were scared it was a trap!

Paul's conversion reminds me of some of the tremendous stories we're hearing of conversions taking place amongst ISIS members.  God is still calling people to himself in dramatic ways!


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Psalms 7-9; Acts 10:1-23

2 comments:

Nathan said...

At the beginning the church faced challenges, as it still does today, but the Christians kept focus on God and the church grew because of it.

Acts 9: 31 "So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied."

Pamela said...

9 For there is no truth in their mouth;
their inmost self is destruction;
their throat is an open grave;
they flatter with their tongue.

Today's sermon at church was about how our tongue is like a steering wheel. We were challenged to think about what direction our words were driving us.

Saul used his tongue to preach boldly for Christ. His life was changed and his words and actions demonstrated that.