Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thursday, January 12th ~ Miriam

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Job 32-34.
Today's scripture focus is Hebrews 4:1-5.

1 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith. 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
   “So I declared on oath in my anger,
   ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”
   And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “And on the seventh day God rested from all his work.” 5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”


To all of us busy, busy people, doesn't "enter my rest" sound fabulous?  I know for myself there are days where I just want a rest.  A break.  Because even when I'm not actually doing physical work, I'm planning, or mentally going over my to-do-tomorrow list, or to-do-next-week list.

I've started a while ago reserving Sundays for church and family, and since doing that, I find that I feel better about my whole week.  I still prepare meals and clean up after them on Sundays, and I am involved in children's activities at church, so it's not a day where I don't do any work, necessarily, but I generally don't plan or schedule anything for Sundays.  It makes Sunday, for me, more of a day to look forward to, and I find it refreshes me for the coming week.  How do you keep the Sabbath?

I like what Matthew Henry had to say on the above verses:
As God finished his work, and then rested from it, so he will cause those who believe, to finish their work, and then to enjoy their rest. It is evident, that there is a more spiritual and excellent sabbath remaining for the people of God, than that of the seventh day, or that into which Joshua led the Jews. This rest is, a rest of grace, and comfort, and holiness, in the gospel state. And a rest in glory, where the people of God shall enjoy the end of their faith, and the object of all their desires. The rest, or sabbatism, which is the subject of the apostle's reasoning, and as to which he concludes that it remains to be enjoyed, is undoubtedly the heavenly rest, which remains to the people of God, and is opposed to a state of labour and trouble in this world. It is the rest they shall obtain when the Lord Jesus shall appear from heaven. 

God really is good to us, isn't he?


Tomorrow's scripture focus:  Hebrews 4:6-11
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage:  Job 35-37.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

He is good! The anticipation of heavenly rest is such a hope filled one.

Verse 2 hit me. "For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith."
Lots of people that grew up in church know a fair amount about God, but they don't know Him personally and so that knowledge is worthless. After all, Satan knows a whole lot about God!

But on the flip side, the more we know God personally and love Him and desire to serve Him, the more knowledge of Him we will also desire.

Miriam said...

That verse hit me too, Tammy, particularly because on Tuesday evening we were talking at Bible study about lukewarm Christians and some of what we talked about fell in line with that verse. It's terribly sad to know that someone may have spent their whole life attending church, thinking they are doing the right things, and miss the whole point of what it means to be a Christian.