Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday, December 11-guest post by Pamela

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Philippians 2:12-4:23.

I loved reading through today's readings and having verses that I memorized as a child jump out at me. It's kind of like when you hear a song that you have not heard in a long time and yet you are able to sing along with it as if you had been singing it regularly.

These three verses are like that for me:

Philipians 2: 14 & 15
14Do all things without grumbling or questioning, 15that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,

I remember learning this one, I think at Pioneer Clubs, and being reminded that the bible tells us to live lives that are examples to others. Rereading it today, it takes on a whole knew truth for me because I think it is so easy to become like the "crooked and twisted generation" we live in. Oh, how hard it is to live without grumbling and complaining!

This week it was confirmed that a parent at my school has stage 4 brain cancer. It sucks. It is impossible to look at the situation and not question what in the world God is thinking taking this parent from the 2 children. Of course, we only see a small piece of God's plan and we can't know the whole story. This parent is shining as a light and drawing people close. Perhaps this situation is just a tool to draw others to God.

Phillipians 4: 6&7
6do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I memorized this verse as well as a child and loved that it was included on a Seeds Family Worship CD that I ordered after Tammy recommended it.


I love that my kids have memorized this verse through this song and have it hidden in their hearts for moments of anxiety and fear. I am encouraged by this verse because it reminds me that I can bring all of my worries to God and He will ease them. How awesome it is to know that we do not have to live a life in a "twisted and crooked generation" alone. God is as close as a prayer away and ready to trade you peace for all your worries. How much lighter the burden when we share it with God.

Philipians 4:8
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

There is so much to think about. There is so much to worry about. I think too often my focus is not on what it should be. Are my thoughts on "whatever is true" or am I concerning myself with gossip? Are my thoughts on "whatever is honourable" or am I thinking about ways to stretch the truth? Are my thoughts on "whatever is just" or am I forgetting that God is the only judge and that my job is to forgive? Are my thoughts on "whatever is pure" or am I finding television shows that promote scenarios that are in contrast to God's plan? Are my thoughts on "whatever is lovely" or do I not see God's creation because I am so busy to notice it? Are my thoughts on "whatever is commendable" or do I tend to focus on what is not rather than compliment those that need it? If I believe God is the example of "excellence" and "worthy of praise" why do my thoughts wander from this reality?

Dear Lord,
Thank you for bringing these verses back from deep in my memory. Their truths speak out to me today. Your word is new to us everyday and what may have spoke to me while I was memorizing these verses as a child may be different from what I am hearing now and yet Your word is still the same. Lord, help us to not grumble and complain but be examples and light to others to draw them to you. Remind us that we are never alone and that You want to carry our anxiety and give us peace. Lord, also help us focus our minds on the stuff that matters and let it crowd out the trivial details and make us more focused on You. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: JAMES 1:1-3:18

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I loved it too when all those previously memorized verses jumped out at me! Some of them are sure challenging though - great post.

tammi said...

That last verse has been the source of much conviction around here over the last several months!!