Monday, December 6, 2010

Bible Reading Plans - please vote!

Edited to add: We have narrowed the plans down to two options. See this post for details.


We are rapidly nearing the end of the first year of this blog and I cannot say enough about how much I have appreciate everyone involved in this process of growth. I am thrilled about doing this again and we need to start the planning process.

According to the input I've received from you, the majority would like to do the same thing as last year (read the Bible through in a year and do daily posts about the passage), but with a different reading plan.

So, here are some of the reading plans we can choose from....
1) Reading through the Bible chronologically again, but this time with way less jumping around. See the plan here.
2) Reading through the Bible chronologically again, with less jumping around, but from both the OT and NT every day. See the plan here.
3) Reading through the entire Bible once and the NT and Psalms twice, also called the McCheyne plan. See the plan here.
4) Reading through the entire Bible from cover to cover (canonical). See the plan here.
5) Reading through the entire Bible, reading a different type of book each weekday (The Law on Monday, History on Tuesday, Psalms on Wednesday, Poetry on Thursday, Prophecy on Friday, Gospels on Saturday, Epistles on Sunday). See the plan here. The one drawback of this plan is that if we have scheduled postings, you get "stuck" with the same type of book every week, all year long. If people don't mind posting every 6 days, for ex, instead of always on a certain day, that could be avoided, but would definitely required checking the schedule carefully!
6) Reading through the Bible historically, in the order in which they were written (slightly different than chronologically, which is in order of when the events occurred). See the plan here.
7) Reading through the OT and the NT together. See the plan here.
8) Reading through the OT and the NT together in a blended plan - not necessarily straight through. See the plan here.
9) Reading through the entire Bible once, reading from OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs every day. See plan here.
10) Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading system - you read 10 books of the Bible every day, one from each of ten lists. This would take a lot of time, but promises to be an excellent reading plan! See plan details here.

That's a lot of plans!!

So, please discuss in the comments which one(s) you would be interested in doing - feel free to rank them in the order you would prefer - or even just a Top 3 pick. I will also put up a poll, but will likely use these comments even more as it'll give me more info to go on.

Please also let me know whether or not you are interested in participating in the blog actively as a blogger. I am hoping everyone returns for next year, but if you decide to move on to something different, I totally understand that too. And, of course, we would be very excited to welcome new participants!

You are welcome to post as often as works for your schedule, whether that's once a week or once a month!

So, please comment and let's get planning!!

7 comments:

tammi said...

Sheesh. There certainly isn't a shortage of choices!!

tammi said...

Are #2 and #7 different? Without looking terribly closely, they seem virtually identical.

And I wonder if the link for #9 is the wrong one. It seems both 9 and 10 link to Professor Horner's method. I'm interested in looking at #9.

tammi said...

Oh, I see there are some differences now between 2 and 7, though the idea is identical. I like the BlueLetterBible plan better because it uses complete chapters; the other plan breaks them up occasionally.

Tammy said...

Link to #9 fixed - good catch!

The difference between 2 and 7 is that #7 is the OT and the NT straight through as written, and #2 is the OT and NT chronologically.

tammi said...

Ah, yes. I see.

Alicia said...

I meant to do your poll last time on this and when I came back to actually click on it I was too late.
I've been giving this a great deal of thought. I'd love to carry on with you sweet ladies but I'm really needing to return to an inductive study meathod that slows down and really chews on the book for a while.
I've always wanted to read the bible in a year and although I did not get through this perfectly, it was a good experience.
I think one of the draw backs of these reading plans is the pressure to just check the reading off my to do list. I'm missing the slowing down and reflecting of precept study.
Many of the plans you layed out here sound intense to me and not the direction I'm wanting to go in next year.
My church thankfully always has an precept study going on and I think I will join that group in the new year.
I have not made a final decision and I'm so darn spontaneous anyway, I'll keep in tune for what you decide to do. :)

Miriam said...

Boy, that is a lot of plans! I think I'm leaning towards one where we do old and new testaments at the same time, partly just for variety's sake, and partly because I really feel like we're rushing through the New Testament here. I'd kind of like the opportunity to digest it a little more slowly, if you know what I mean. I'm also kind of drawn to Professor Horner's system, as it seems like such a great way to really get familiar with everything in the Bible, but considering how hard it is sometimes to pull out something to post about when you're reading 3-ish chapters, it would probably be even worse when you're reading 10!