Saturday, July 3, 2010

July 3rd

Today's reading in the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Proverbs 30-31.

Nancy Leigh DeMoss has an excellent series called the Counter-Cultural Woman that discusses Proverbs 31 in depth. You can read/hear the first sermon here.

As a few of us already discussed Proverbs 31 quite a bit in the True Woman Tuesday series we did together awhile back (hosted by Tammi), I'm not going to discuss those verses today.

One verse from Chapter 30 that jumped out at me is...

Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Proverbs 30:5

God is our refuge, and His Word is our shield. But a shield is pretty useless if you leave it sitting on the ground, or on the shelf.

We need to use it! We need to read it and study it (again, so thankful for the accountability of this blog in this area!) and, likely a new goal for 2011, memorize it.

Scripture memory is so valuable. Click here for a great series on scripture memory. Scripture memory obviously gets you to know God's Word, it redeems your time, it provides help when you need it instantaneously, reciting memorized scripture is a worship experience. And the best way to memorize scripture is to repeat it out loud, over and over throughout your day, which exposes your children to scripture and likely will cause them to inadvertently memorize along with you!

And, of course, scripture memory will affect the way we live. What goes in to our minds is what comes out in our actions. If our minds and souls are concentrated on the Word (like they have to be during scripture memory), then our actions wills begin to reflect that more and more.

Janet Pope says in this radio program with Nancy Leigh DeMoss...
So why have I been so successful at memorizing Scripture? It’s because I have a higher goal than just to memorize the Bible. That’s not my goal. My goal is to know God and to walk closely with Him.

And, of course, the argument always is that we don't have time. And it's true, most of us probably don't have extra time slots to add to our day. So, don't add any - as I said earlier - redeem the time!

Janet says...
That’s what I like to tell busy women. “Okay, you’re not going to be able to add Scripture memory to your day. It’s already full. So put Scripture memory with things you’re already doing.

Most of us do our hair the same way every single day, so do you really have to be thinking? Just work on Scripture memory at the same time.

You’re putting on your makeup the same way every day. You’re making toast. You’re making coffee. Incorporate it with something else you’re already doing.

This is a huge nudge for me. I'm still debating about whether to wait till 2011 to start this or whether I should start now. But I do know that I need to start, and start soon! The benefits are too huge to ignore.

Tomorrow's passage: Psalm 42-46

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That was a good reminder Tammy, thanks. I love what Nancy says about our motivation. That is so important to remember.
I was just reading your comment on my old blog (feels strange to call it that now...) and I have to apologize that I've not participated enough here. Don't worry, I know you did not say that to get a response like that, I truly mean it. It's odd that you would say it though because the past few weeks when I come here I've been thinking that it's odd there are so many followers and so few commenters. Then I realized I was one of them not commenting enough. I honestly am not always good at catching all of the posts either. Then, my computer died and I lot my reading plan and now I'm WAY behind. I'm just catching back on today!
The reason I say all this is because when I've had these thoughts I've really taken note of all you do to pump these posts out all the time. It's HARD work, and I really thank you for doing it. You are right, God is using first for you and I'm glad you keep remembering that, but he is using it for all who read as well and you are serving him in a quiet and important way.
You have convicted me to try to keep up here and participate. Don't worry, you've not guilted me, I'm truly convicted. It's not too hard to read the text and then the post. I have to admit too, I'm starting to transition to reading on the computer links because then I can go right to the post.