Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday- Guest Post by Mrs. Oz

Today's passage from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is: 1 Kings 8:1-11, 2 Chronicles 5:1-14, 1 Kings 8:12-21, 2 Chronicles 6:1-11, 1 Kings 8:22-53, 2 Chronicles 6:12-42. For less flipping read 1 Kings 8:1-53 and 2 Chronicles 5-6.

I read these passages and enjoyed them but just could not zero in on what was worth highlighting or expounding upon. So, I read them again (well, at least one of the versions of them as they do pretty much duplicate). As I read I realized I was starting to think of the prayer as it applied to me, the temple of the Holy Spirit. What got me thinking this was the commentary on Solomon's prayer by Matthew Henry, specifically his opening comments on the prayer:

"In this excellent prayer, Solomon does as we should do in every prayer; he gives glory to God. Fresh experiences of the truth of God's promises call for larger praises. He sues for grace and favour from God. The experiences we have of God's performing his promises, should encourage us to depend upon them, and to plead them with him; and those who expect further mercies, must be thankful for former mercies. God's promises must be the guide of our desires, and the ground of our hopes and expectations in prayer."

The New Covenant gives us a whole, further developed and incredibly more intimate meaning of "the temple" of God. It makes Solomon's statement even more incredible as well:

"But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!"

Not only is it mind blowing that Almighty God would choose to dwell on little, tiny earth (in comparison to the massive universe and again, this is making me have Louis Giglio flashbacks:), and not only in a GLORIOUS, ASTOUNDING temple, but in me and you! The Spirit dwells in men now who have repented and turned to Him. So, I thought it worth reading Solomon's prayer again thinking of it in the light of the temple of the body. It does not all apply so the parts that don't I've left out and the others I've embellished to gain the picture without changing the truth of the overall message. I'll start in verse 27 of the prayer and I've highlighted changes. Every time you read "temple" refer to yourself.

"But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple (you) have built! Yet give attention to your servant's prayer and his plea for mercy, O LORD my God. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is praying in your presence this day. May your eyes be open toward this temple night and day, this place of which you said, 'My Name shall be there,' so that you will hear the prayer your servant prays (for) this place. Hear the supplication of your servant when (I) pray (for) this (temple). Hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive.
(omitted vs.32)
"When (I) have been defeated by an enemy because (I) have sinned against you, and when (I) turn back to you and confess your name, praying and making supplication to you in this temple, then hear from heaven and forgive (my) sin and bring (me) back to (my inheritance in you).
"When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain because (I) have sinned against you, and when (I) pray (for) this (temple) and confess your name and turn from (my) sin because you have afflicted (me), then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your servant. Teach (me) the right way to live, and send rain on (me) (blessing me again because of my) inheritance.
"When (bad things, or hard times) comes to the (me), or (loss), or (disaster) or when an enemy besieges (me) in any of (my) (dwellings), whatever disaster or disease may come, and when a prayer or plea is made by (me or believers around me)— aware of the afflictions of (my) own heart, and spreading out (my) hands toward this temple- then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act; deal with (me) according to all (I do), since you know (my) heart for you alone know the hearts of all men, so that they will fear you all the time they live (remembering their inheritance in you too).
As for the foreigner who does not belong to your people but has come from a distant land because of your name- for men will hear of your great name and your mighty hand and your outstretched arm—when he comes and (acknowledges you and seeks you because of) this temple, then hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and do whatever the foreigner asks of you, so that all the peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you, as do (I), and may know that this house (you) have built bears your Name.
"When (I) go to war against (my) enemies, wherever you send (me), and when (I) pray to the LORD (regarding) the temple (you) have built for your Name, then hear from heaven (my) prayer and (my) plea, and uphold (my) cause.
"When (I) sin against you—for there is no one who does not sin—and you become angry with (me) and give (me) over to (the consequences of my actions), (which) captiv(ate and imprison me) , far away or near; and if (I) have a change of heart (while being) held captive, and repent and plead with you in (this state of burden) and (I) say, '(I) have sinned, (I) have done wrong, (I) have acted wickedly'; and if (I) turn back to you with all (my) heart and soul, and pray to you (remembering my inheritance in you), toward the (dwelling) you have chosen and the temple (you) have built for your Name; then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear (my) prayer and (my) plea, and uphold (my) cause. And forgive (me), who (has) sinned against you; forgive all the offenses (I) have committed against you, and to show (me) mercy; for (I) (am) your(s) and your inheritance, whom you brought out of (sin), out of that iron-smelting furnace.
"May your eyes be open to your servant's plea, and may you listen to (me) whenever (I) cry out to you. For you (chose) (me) to be your own inheritance, just as you declared through your servant Moses when you, O Sovereign LORD, brought our fathers out of Egypt."

I tried, like I said to keep it very accurate. It was significant to read it this way for me, I hope it is for you.
Tomorrow's passage is: 1 Kings 8:54-66; 2 Chronicles 7:1-10; 1 Kings 9:1-9; 2 Chronicles 7:11-22; 1 Kings 9:10-14

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Thank you for that Alicia. I really do need to remember to pray the scriptures more.