Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1-Guest Post by Pamela

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 2 Samuel 22, Psalm 18.

Scripture:
2 Samuel 22:31, Psalm 18:30

As for God, his way is perfect;
the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield
for all who take refuge in him.

Observation:
We have a choice to try it on our own or to choose to sheltered by God.

Application:
These passages are so beautiful and such a declaration of devotion. This passage stood out for me because (again!) I am reminded by God that He is in control. It says "His way is perfect". Perfect. Not good. Not alright. No even exceptional. Perfect. This commentary elaborates on the word perfect:

"Perfect — His providence, though it may sometimes be dark, yet is always wise and just, and unblameable."

I am sure that there were times that David must have at least questioned about God's way being perfect. Running for his life must not have been fun or enjoyable and yet he chose to "take refuge in Him" and that was enough. David had confidence that "the word of the LORD is flawless" and he placed his trust in God despite everything he was facing. He made that decision.

This commentary adds, "No matter how great or many the dangers may be, yet God's promise must take effect."

How true. How very different the story would be if David would have not chosen to take refuge in God. Think about it for a minute.

If God is like a shield, what would it be like to enter a battle without Him? God is always there, waiting for us to take refuge in Him, and yet so often we choose to try to do it on our own.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, Your way is truly is perfect and your word flawless. How else would I be able to feel Your nudging as a read through the passage I am assigned for this study. You already know what it is that I need to hear and I thank you for your infinite wisdom. Lord, you never promised that life would be easy but you did promise that You would be there for us to take refuge in. Thank you. I struggle so much with trusting you to do things in your time and yet you have never let me down. I pray that you will continue to use the situations in my life to draw my closer to you. I want to take refuge in you. I pray for everyone following along with this study and give them the desire to choose You as their shield of protection. I lift up Tammy and thank your for giving her the desire to start and keep up this blog to inspire others to grow in their faith and trust in You. Amen.

Tomorrow's Readings are 2 Samuel 24:1-9; 1 Chronicles 21:1-6; 2 Samuel 24:10-17; 1 Chronicles 21:7-17; 2 Samuel 24:18-25; 1 Chronicles 21:18-22:19

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Ooops! I messed up on the auto post and it didn't work and posted early. Sorry!!

Miriam said...

Great post. A good reminder that even though we may not understand or would have done something differently had we been in control ourselves, God is in charge and He makes all things perfect.

Tammy said...

So often we think we know what's best, and then hindsight reveals that, once again, God's way IS the best way. It's so hard to remember that in the middle of it though isn't it?

Thanks for the prayer Pam, I really appreciate it.

Tammy said...

I also wanted to say - I never knew that these 2 chapters were virtually identical. Loving reading the Bible chronologically this time - so much stuff I'm catching on to this way!