Saturday, February 24, 2018

Saturday, February 24th: Numbers 22-24, Hebrews 8 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Numbers 22-24, Hebrews 8

Hebrews 8:8-12 is a quotation of Jeremiah 31:31-34 which compares the old and new covenants.
“The day is coming, says the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel and Judah.
9 This covenant will not be like the one
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
and led them out of the land of Egypt.
They did not remain faithful to my covenant,
so I turned my back on them, says the Lord.
10 But this is the new covenant I will make
with the people of Israel on that day,[c] says the Lord:
I will put my laws in their minds,
and I will write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11 And they will not need to teach their neighbors,
nor will they need to teach their relatives,[d]
saying, ‘You should know the Lord.’
For everyone, from the least to the greatest,
will know me already.
12 And I will forgive their wickedness,
and I will never again remember their sins.”[e]

I appreciated what my Life Application Bible says....
The old covenant was the covenant of law between God and Israel. The new and better way is the covenant of grace - Christ's offer to forgive our sins and bring us to God through his sacrificial death. This covenant is new in extent - it goes beyond Israel and Judah to include all the Gentile nations. It is new in application because it is written on our hearts and in our minds. It offers a new way to forgiveness, not through animal sacrifice but through faith. 

I am so thankful to be included in the new covenant.
I am so thankful that God gave me a new heart on which he's written this covenant of grace.
I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit continues to work in my life, giving me new desires and helping me want to obey God.
I am so thankful for His continuous grace to me.

Tomorrow: Catch up day!
Monday's Bible In a Year PassageNumbers 25-27, Hebrews 9

No comments: