Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Wednesday, December 7th: 1 Timothy 1-3 ~ Emma

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is  1 Timothy 1-3

Quite a few things stood out to me in today's reading, but I'll just touch on two points:

1) Even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief. Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 1:13-14

Paul called himself one of the worst sinners. He had done many wrong things, yet God forgave him and used him and his story for His glory. And notice how Paul doesn't say "I was once a sinner but now I'm not because I changed my ways and am now the best person ever!" He rather gives all the glory to God, thanking Him for changing him and forgiving him of all he did wrong. We should also be this way.

2) Women should learn quietly and submissively. I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. 1 Timothy 2:11-12

I find these verses are often overlooked because they are controversial. Lots of people (especially in our world of feminists and all other politically correct terms) don't like that women are supposed to be submissive and not in charge. Some women think "well what if I want to be a leader or elder in the church?" But that's the thing, it's not about what we want. It's about glorifying God. And part of that, is accepting and playing the role He has given you in life to your full capabilities which are given to you by Him. God clearly does not call me to be an elder in the church, because He created me a woman.  The sooner you realize what your role is, the sooner you can bring glory to God's name and bring people to Him.

Father, help me to play the part You have given me today so that I can bring glory to Your name. Amen.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: 1 Timothy 4-6

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Good point, ".. It's not about what we want, it's about glorifying God". True in the part your explaining, as well as many other areas and times in life. I pray that my attitude would change where needed, and be more about what God wants first.

Tammy said...

It's about glorifying God, and about being content in the role and work God has given us to do.