Friday, June 10, 2016

Friday June 10th: 1 Kings 17-19 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: 1 Kings 17-19

"Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God."  1Kings 18:24

I have always enjoyed reading this story.  I find Elijah taunting the prophets to be humorous.  "At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened."  (verse 27)

But today I took note of Elijah's confidence in God.  He could have decided to prepare the altar without all the other prophets watching, but instead he called them all over to watch him (vs 30).  In all their presence, Elijah places the stones and rebuilds the altar and then proceeds to dig a trench around the altar.  He then tells them to "Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering and on the wood."

At this point, if someone was betting on this outcome, the odds would not be in Elijah's favour.  When I go camping (and I say "I" because those of you who know Pamela, know it's not "we") I make all effort in ensuring I have everything to making a fire easy; dry wood, paper, and a lighter full of fluid.  But Elijah's faith and his confidence is not placed in the wood being dry, having paper, or the lighter fluid.  His confidence was in the lighter - God Almighty!

This brought me to reflecting on areas in my life that I am not relying on the God who not only brought a fire that Elijah prayed for, but "burnt up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench." (38)  

"At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed: “Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command.37 Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again."  (vs 36-37)

Elijah's desire for God to send the fire was not for his own benefit.  He initially called everyone around so that God would be able to demonstrate His power for all to see.  Elijah is giving God credit for everything and acknowledging the fact that he is following God's commands.  Elijah prayed that prayer in front of everyone to see and hear, not in solitude.  

How am I doing at telling nonbelievers about the miracles that God has done in my life?  Do I have the desire in making sure that others know about the importance in following God?  Do I give God all the credit He is do?  Do I acknowledge His leading?  Do I obey His commands?  Do I believe that God can send the fire today?


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: 1 Kings 20:1-22:9, 2 Chronicles 18:1-8, 1 Kings 22:10-28, 2 Chronicles 18:9-27

2 comments:

Emma said...

“Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the LORD told him. And as Elijah stood there, the LORD passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And a voice said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” (‭1 Kings‬ ‭19‬:‭11-13‬ NLT)

This reminded me of the verse "be still and know that I am God". We need to listen for God. While the storm is powerful around us, we need to listen for God's still voice and find strength in that.

Tammy said...

I, too, love Elijah's faith in this chapter. And then he reveals his humanity when, right after this amazing miracle, he becomes so afraid that he flees for his life. But God met him at his point of doubt and was patient with him. Just like He is with us. So thankful for our patient and merciful God.