Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tuesday, June 16th: Jeremiah 30-31, Matthew 26:1-25 ~ Nathan


In chapter 30 of Jeremiah,  we read how God both explains why He is punishing Israel and Judah...

15.Why do you cry out over your wound, your pain that has no cure? Because of your great guilt and many sins I have done these things to you.

and later explains, and reassures,  what will happen to his people after He punishes them...

22 “ ‘So you will be my people, and I will be your God .’ ”

This reminded me of when I was a child and did something wrong and was spanked (not sure if I can talk publicly about spanking now a days).  My dad hated doing it,  but told me he did it because he loved me and cared enough that he had to do something that hurt me and him now but would benefit me later. My parents weren't going to put up with ongoing misbehaviour and reached a point where something had to be done,  and after a few warnings I usually got a spanking. After this I usually felt relieved and much better.

This is a lot like how God explains what will happen after He punishes Israel and Judah in chapter 31...

2.This is what the Lord says: “The people who survive the sword will find favor in the wilderness; I will come to give rest to Israel.”

The one thing that stood out for me in our New Testament reading is found in verse 13,
"Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

Little did that women know that by doing a kind deed for Jesus she would be remembered forever. How many politicians or athletes try to do things for their own legacies,  so that they will be remembered?  Here a humble and lowly women came and did a kind and loving thing for Jesus 2000 years ago, and we're still talking about it  today!

Just goes to show that doing something kind for God will truly count in the end.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

"Your wound is incurable, your injury beyond healing. There is no one to plead your cause, no remedy for your sore, no healing for you........ But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds."
Sin is terminal and we cannot save ourselves from its consequences. Only God can cure the disease of sin.

Conrad said...

The same verse stood out to me as Tammy mentioned with a similar thought too.

Also a good point Nathan about how we usually do feel better afterwards from being punished.

Pamela said...

14 Then one of the twelve, whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests 15 and said, “What will you give me if I deliver him over to you?” And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. 16 And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him.

Judas WENT. Not- Judas was approached. Not - Judas was cornered. Not - Judas was tricked. Judas went.

It always blows my mind to think that one of the 12 was responsible for the arrest of Jesus because Judas would have been there to see and hear first hand what Jesus came to do. I know it was part of God's plan for it to happen this way but it's still hard to fathom.