Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday, May 17 ~ Miriam

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is 2 Samuel 16-18.
Today's scripture focus is John 18:1-11.


When he had finished praying, Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley. On the other side there was an olive grove, and he and his disciples went into it.
Now Judas, who betrayed him, knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.
Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?”
“Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied.
“I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.
Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?”
And they said, “Jesus of Nazareth.”
“I told you that I am he,” Jesus answered. “If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”[a]
10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)
11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”



See, I was reading today's passage, and because it was a much shorter passage than what we've read the last couple of years, I noticed, as if for the first time, that after Jesus said he was himself, all the people fell down.  ???? What?!?!?!  How have I not noticed this before?  Someone like me, who has been hearing the story of the crucifixion and resurrection my whole life... I know the story, right?  We normally focus on the parts that happen after the arrest.  Never before have I really noticed what the events of this short passage tell us about Jesus.  I've taken an excerpt from a John MacArthur sermon, Jesus Betrayed and Arrested, that explains something I hadn't thought through properly before.  I'd encourage you to read or listen to the whole sermon, because it is very good, but here is what it all comes down to:
Jesus could have just destroyed that whole group with a word, but He so willingly went to the cross. He even fixed up Malchus just to make it right, He wasn't interested in injuring men and fighting against them. He was willingly going to die. Nobody took His life from Him. And so we see His supreme courage, His supreme power and His supreme love ... such a love that doesn't even think of itself but only of others. I mean, how could He love them enough to want to heal some of them, you know? When they were going to kill Him? But He did. And He loved His own to protect them.
All right, then lastly supreme obedience, verse 11, and here we see the majesty of His obedience to the Father. "Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath," and the other writers tell us He also said, "If you live by the sword you'll die by the sword." Then He says this: "The cup which My Father hath given Me, shall I not drink it?" I mean, this is what God  planned, Peter. Don't mess it up.
You know, I wonder how many times the Lord has had to say to us in effect -‑ Why don't you get out of My way so I can do My work? You know. He says -‑ Peter, this is what we've been planning since the beginning of eternity, now just get aside for a minute and let it happen. Now notice the word "cup." The idea of a cup in the Old Testament is associated with judgment, the cup of His wrath. Also in Revelation 14:1010:19 it talks about the cup of indignation, or the cup of wrath. And what He's saying is He's going to drink a cup full of wrath. When Jesus went to the cross He drank a cup of wrath. Whose wrath was it? It was God's wrath against ... what? ... sin. And Jesus says: "Shall I not drink God's cup of wrath, bearing the shame and the agony and the sin and shall I not die feeling the killing death of God's judgment on sinners?" This is how it's planned, Peter, shall I not do it?
And I say what Peter didn't say -‑ Do it, Lord, do it ... cause we must have it done. And Jesus willingly drinks the cup. And, my friends, He drank it to the bottom, didn't He? He died our death. Jesus will die even though the serpent will bruise His heal, even though God will turn His back on Him, His disciples will forsake Him, the Gentiles will mock and scourge Him, the Jews will cry "Crucify Him," and yet He will die. He will die in love for His own and obedience to the Father's plan ... supreme obedience. My friends, you have seen in this passage the majesty of Jesus Christ ... majestic in His courage, His power, His love, His obedience. But the sad thing is that just like that crowd that night you may not really comprehend it.   (emphasis mine)

I knew that Jesus knew what was going to happen.  I knew that Jesus stepped up and died for us willingly, purposefully, and NOT because some people plotted against him and did this to him against his will.  I knew that he did what he did out of love for us and obedience to God.  But not until today, when I read about Jesus going someplace he knew he'd be easy to find, stepping forward to meet the people and demonstrating his power by making them all fall down when he spoke, healing the ear of the wounded man, and telling Peter that he knew what he was doing and he was doing so willingly - not as a victim - that I really have a better understanding of the courage, power, love and obedience of Jesus.  All are evident in these few verses, and yet, so easily missed when we rush ahead to the events that follow.

Tomorrow's scripture focus:  John 18:12-27.
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage:  Psalm 26/40/58/61/62/64.

No comments: