Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday, August 21st

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is 1 Chronicles 17-19 - 1 Corinthians 13

Today's readings just made me marvel once again at David and how, despite his huge failings, he was truly a man after God's own heart.

After building an amazing palace for himself, David longed to build a temple for the Lord to dwell in. He felt convicted that he had built himself this beautiful lodging, yet had built nothing for God. His desire absolutely came from the right motivation, it came from love. (1 Corinthians 13!!)

But what was God's response?

You are not the one to build me a house to dwell in. 1 Chronicles 17:4b

Have you ever had a fantastic idea that you came up with? A way to bless someone that you just knew they would love and you couldn't wait to do it?

On a MUCH more minor scale, this happened to me once. I had been planning for months to throw my best friend a surprise party for her 30th birthday. And finally when it came close, I told her mom about my plans - only to find out someone else was already planning one. And then, when we attended the party, I was very disappointed with the end result and knew it would've been so much better if I had been the one planning it for her. (OK - so that last part doesn't really fit the parallel I'm going for here.)

But my initial disappointment sure does!

I was extremely disappointed. And that's probably an understatement.

Over a 30th birthday party.

I can only imagine how disappointed King David must've been when God said "No".

And it wasn't that God say no for any disciplinary reasons. It was because David had shed too much blood (in obedience to God's own commands!). No, David would not build God a temple. His son would. And God promised David that his kingdom would be established forever.

Many people, after being denied their heart's desire, would choose to look at that glass half empty.

But David did not.

Instead of being angry, he was humble.

Instead of being hurt, he was thankful.

Instead of being resentful or envious, he praised God.

Instead of focusing on the thing being denied, he focused on the blessings being promised.

Sounds like a lot of the same qualities we find in 1 Corinthians 13 - the love chapter.

David loved God.

It could be said that the true measure of an individual is shown during our trials, tribulations, and disappointments. When emotions are raw, any pretense is stripped away and we reveal our true inner selves.

I want my true inner self to reveal love, as David's did.



2 comments:

tammi said...

That IS pretty amazing. Thanks for pointing that out!

That actually ties in really well with these readings in Corinthians about being a part of the Body of Christ ~ there might be someone much better equipped to do a certain job or provide a certain service and rather than getting upset about being 'replaced,' we should be grateful the House of God will be better off because of the change. Knowing, of course, that God has something different in mind for us and trusting that we will be a better fit somewhere else!

Pamela said...

Great point! I didn't actually make that connection between the OT and NT readings.

"It could be said that the true measure of an individual is shown during our trials, tribulations, and disappointments. When emotions are raw, any pretense is stripped away and we reveal our true inner selves."

Unfortunately, my inner self is not pretty. I'm working on that.