Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Numbers 34-36, Luke 1:57-80

Happy Wednesday folks!  I trust your week is going well, if not, know that my prayers are with you.  I hope it gets better.

We are finishing up the book of Numbers today.  While the 34th chapter is one of those that my eyes tend to glaze over, I had a thought while reading it.  God is a God of boundaries.  Why didn't He just open the door to the promise land and let them go in willy-nilly?  Because He knows that disorder breeds chaos.  He knows we humans thrive on our own space.  I have a feeling that if left to their own devices the Israelites might dispurse some, but for the most part would probably all settle around the same prime areas and not explore the outer regions.  They have been wandering for 40 years.  They are tired of walking, camping and manna.  I'm sure they want to do what I often do after a long day, come in and plop on the first chair I see.  My stuff gets deposited close to me and I just nest.  I'm tired!  I don't want to move anymore.  But the Israelites are a lot of people, they need a lot of room and they need even more room to expand.  They've got all their animals that need room as well to graze and grow.  We saw what happened  between two households back in Genesis between Abraham and Lot.  It could only be worse for this Nation.  Everyone would be vying for the same prime spot for their family, home and animals.  God knows us so well, just as He knew the Israelites and He preempted their possible problems and parceled out just what they would need, according to His wisdom.

Another thought:  When God gave the Israelites their land, He not only set up internal boundaries, but He also set up external boundaries.  This too is important.  We've all heard the saying that fences make good neighbors.  By the time the Israelites are finished and already up to now, they've kicked up quite a bit of dust.  The news travels fast and surrounding nations would be afraid.  Fearful people attack.  But if clear boundaries were set up between the Israelites and their neighbors, they could co-exist peacefully.  Something else about the external boundaries; God was telling them 'This is all you need.  This, what I have provided for you, this boundary is sufficient.  You can find all you need here.'  Trouble happens when we get greedy.  You can only stretch a nation so far before it springs back, or breaks.  Rome, Greece, Babylonians, Assyrians, all were, at one time, great Empires with lots of land and they aren't now.  God is saying 'stay here, be satisfied within My borders'.

Here is a link to the borders as set up by God in Numbers 34.  

We move to the birth of John the son of Elizabeth and Zacharias.  Again, the songs in the bible used to bore me, to be honest, but the song of Zacharias struck me as beautiful.  This man had been mute and possibly deaf, or at least people thought he was deaf, given the people gesturing and making signs to him at the naming of his son, for at least 9 months, possibly a bit longer.  And the very first things out of his mouth, as recorded by scripture is praise!  What is the first thing of out my mouth in the morning?  It aint praise, I can tell you that.  But this man, whom he hadn't told his wife he loved her, or said good morning to a neighbor, or called his dog in for the night for nine months, chooses to praise the Lord who made his mouth first!  And then we see a beautiful blessing from father upon son.  Do you remember the first words you spoke to your newborn child?  I do.  I think I called them beautiful and perfect, although I have trouble remembering.  But here we have words of prophecy and blessing spoken upon this sweet babe.  The words we speak to and over our children can be so powerful.  We don't know how our words can shape and guide a child, even in infancy.  They say that even in the womb our words and actions can be felt by the baby, as evident in yesterdays reading.  I know for myself I need to watch my words.  Words can do so much to make or break a child and the end result can be for beauty or sadness.

Heavenly Father, we see Your purpose in boundaries and words.  Show us the boundaries You have in place over our lives; our children, our husbands, our ministries.  Help us to know when to say no.  And Lord place a hand over our mouths.  Train us to speak words of praise.  May the first words out of our mouths in the morning be beautiful in your ears.  Thank you Father God that You aren't done with us.  Amen.  


 Tomorrow's passage: Deuteronomy 1-2, Luke 2:1-24

4 comments:

Jody said...

Beautiful post Kathryn. You are so right about the boundaries! I didn't even think about those passages in that way - good thoughts. I also loved Zacharias' praise and prophecy over his son. I was struck again how we see so many examples of prophesy and blessing over children in the Bible. It challenges me to explore more of that in my own life. Sure, I pray over my kids, but not with this eloquenec and with the prophecy element. Do you guys believe in the idea of prophecy today?
Thank you for the inspiring post Kathryn.

Miriam said...

I really appreciate your insight on the boundaries, Kathryn. I hadn't thought about that at all, but you're right... boundaries are important. I like Luke better than the other gospels in some ways because he includes some of these things that you don't read about elsewhere. I remember having tapes of the Christmas story when we were kids that were like radio theatre, and I remember that it included the angels' visits to Mary and Zechariah, Mary's visit to Elizabeth, and Zechariah's first words saying "His name is John." It's amazing how much more real these stories can become when you hear them acted out.

Tammy said...

I love the book of Luke too Miriam - I think my favourite of the first 3 gospels.

Kathryn - I soooo appreciated your thoughts on the boundaries in this passage. I had definitely not thought of it in that light before. But so very true! Especially since, not only did they have to travel far in order to get to some of those places - they had to make war against the people living there and kick them out! Definitely would've preferred to plop down in the first place they found I'd say.

Also appreciated your reminder about the power of our words. We do a "prayer huddle" every morning before the girls leave for school. If neighbour kids happen to be there, they're included too. I love that our kids will have that memory because it happened every day.

Found a free ebook on prayer that looks fantastic.
http://www.turnbacktogod.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/The-Kneeling-Christian.pdf

This one sounds fantastic as well (from the reviews and the site I originally found it recommended on)...
http://www.amazon.com/Pray-Big-Your-Child-Promises/dp/0800732464/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Pamela said...

Excellent post! I loved reading your thoughts on boundaries and how it illustrates that God knew exactly what the people needed to grow and prosper. Boundaries can be looked at as restrictive but they can also be regarded as a way to keep us safe. We set up boundaries for our children, not to restrict them but rather as to protect them.

One thing that stuck out for me was the mercy offered to people who killed by accident. I'm not sure how often this happened because I can't imagine killing someone by "accident" (but maybe I'm jaded by all of my Grade 1 friends who have claimed they kicked/hit/licked(!) their friends "BY accident!) but God specifically offers a refuge for their unintentional sin. What a blessing to know that God prepares a way for us to not get what we deserve. God is so good.