Friday, October 15, 2010

Saturday-October 16

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Luke 11:14-12:34

So many awesome parts in today's passages. I know that Jesus' purpose on earth was to redeem its people and because of that He was an eloquent speaker and teacher who always had the right thing to say but it always astounds me that He can say so much in so few words with such perfect analogies and explanations. I also think it is amazing that God's word is so timeless. It stands as relevant today as it was then. People still struggle with the thought of God's power and miracles that happen today. People will try to explain it away with science, technology, or "coincidence" and yet God's touch is always there. We are (still) living in a "wicked generation" waiting for a miraculous sign when God's presence is evident all around us. God reminds us in these verses that we are important (the hairs on our head are numbered 12:7), we are not defined by the stuff we have (a man's life does not consist of the abundance of his possessions 12:15), we will be blessed when we hear and obey the word of God (11:28) and that we do not know when our last day on earth will be (12:20).

The last part of today's readings is was one I have read many times but it just reminded me again how my tendency to worry really doesn't accomplish anything. I am a natural worrier with a leaning to "control freak" and these two qualities together make it so difficult for me to just let things be in God's hands. Even when I know there is nothing I can do and ultimately it is in God's hands it is almost painful for me to give a situation to God and to fully trust Him to lead me in the direction He wants me to go. I want to know now, I want to know what, and I want to know how and I am not very good at being patient. God has been working on this in my life as He brings into my life situations that I can't help but just lean on Him and wait. A valuable, but difficult, lesson-And I am a slow learner too! :)

I found this commentary:

For the disciples to seek God’s kingdom would mean for them to have an earnest desire to have him as their Sovereign, submitting themselves to do his will, looking to him to bless their efforts to obtain life’s necessities, and maintaining faith in him as the one who would aid them in their time of need. Just as the birds do what they can to find the provisions available to them, Christ’s disciples demonstrate themselves to be willing and exemplary workers, conscientiously using their God-given abilities to make a living. At the same time, they avoid giving in to unproductive worry, as that would call into question their faith in God’s ability to care for them.

In an unbelieving world, disciples of Christ may face difficulties and hardships. At the time Jesus taught his disciples, they were very few in number. The majority of their fellow Israelites had not responded in faith. Being greatly outnumbered, they may well have been apprehensive about what the future might hold for them, especially as they became more aware of the kind of hostility that was directed against Jesus. He, therefore, admonished them not to be afraid. While they appeared to be just a “little flock” of sheep surrounded by many unbelievers, the heavenly Father, in his good pleasure, wanted to give them the kingdom, making them part of the realm where he is Sovereign and granting them all the associated blessings. (Luke 12:32)

In keeping with what God had in store for them, they should focus on giving to those in need. Instead of acquiring extra possessions, they would be selling possessions and, with the funds obtained therefrom, relieve the plight of the afflicted. In this way, they would be making purses for themselves that did not wear out with use, for the heavenly Father would look favorably upon their generous and rightly motivated giving. The record of giving would come to be like a treasure deposited in heaven, which the Most High would richly recompense. This treasure is secure, for no thief can steal it and no moth (in its destructive caterpillar stage) can ruin it. The hearts of the devoted disciples or their affections and desires would be where their treasure is, centered on their heavenly Father and pleasing him. (Luke 12:33, 34, which passage parallels Matthew 6:19-21) For those whose treasure is on earth, their thoughts and actions are not ennobling. They merely exist to eat, drink, and engage in some temporary form of merriment. (emphasis mine)

Likewise, we too, can also can be unproductive when we start to worry and not trust in God to take care of us. The reality is that we WILL (not sure why he says MAY) face difficulties and hardships but it is how we react to them that can lead or deter others from God. Worrying in the face of difficult circumstances can quickly turn to fear and anxiety and consume our thoughts and actions. Instead our hearts and thoughts should be consumed with what God's desires are and obeying His commands. Of course, this is easier said than done.

I also thought this commentary had some good thoughts to chew on:

In what ways is life more than food and the body more than clothes? Both life and body pertain to people. People are God’s children, created in the image of God. We are spiritual beings who live eternally. Food and clothing are consumables. They do not last forever, and they exist to serve and provide for people. In these ways, life and body and more valuable than food and clothing.

How does Jesus’ statement challenge my view of what life is all about? His statement reminds me that life is about people and about relationships. To make life’s focus food or clothing is to completely miss the point. It’s to focus on the lesser rather than the greater, on the temporary instead of the eternal. The application is to not worry about food or clothing because God will provide for those things. Instead, I should worry about seeking God’s kingdom—which includes the loving of people.

According to this passage, what truths about God and about life make worrying foolish? God provides. He provides for the lilies of the field and the birds of the air. And if he provides of them, then surely he will provide for me for I am more important than them. Basically Jesus is saying that God will provide for his disciples their basic needs. And so because there is infallible proof that God provides (just look at nature), it is foolish for me to worry about my basic needs. God is both willing and able to provide what I need to live.


I want to focus on the eternal but I struggle with the temporary day-to-day demands and it brings out the worrier in me. Although I know in my heart that God has a plan and purpose for my life by head sometimes like to play with that and plant the seeds of worry in so that I begin to doubt. My prayer is that God will continue to be patient with me as I learn His lessons.


Tomorrow's passage: LUKE 12:35-13:21 JOHN 9:1-41

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Great thoughts Pam.

I find it interesting how the world is so quick to not give credit to God for miracles, but very quick to give Him the blame for things that go wrong.