Thursday, June 22, 2017

Thursday, June 22nd: Esther 6-8; Acts 6 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Esther 6-8; Acts 6

Have you ever thought that you had everything all planned out, and then suddenly something happens and now the train is off the track?  Well welcome to todays reading.  

Reality sets in for Haman when he plans on requesting an execution of Mordecai from the king, but instead Haman finds himself honouring Mordecai in the exact way that he recited as being the best way he saw fit to be honoured by a king.  Not only would this be a humbling experience for Haman, but he also would have realized that this could possibly derail their plan for exterminating all the Jews.     

After the king designates Haman to being the one who is hanged (by his own gallows I might add), Esther tells the king that Mordecai is actually her relative.  With the king having an open ear, Esther also pleads with him to put an end to Haman's evil plan of wiping out the Jews.  The king then authorized Mordecai to put in place a decree ensuring that the Jews would be safe throughout the entire empire.

The Jews are God's chosen people.  They weren't perfect, they weren't always obedient, but God protected them.  God used an unexpected person named Esther; a young, orphaned girl whom He raised up to take on a major role in executing the dramatic turn around of Haman's evil plan.  

Today's reading reminded me that I too could be that unexpected person that God needs to play a major role in.  I'm not perfect, and not always obedient.  But am I willing?  Do I open my heart and mind up for that?  Do I make myself available for God?  Do I pray asking God to show me the role that He wants me to play?  

One last point.....

The verse that stood out to me in the NT reading was Acts 6:10:

"but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke."

Stephen was a man full of God's grace and power.  How cool and awesome would it be to have someone use those words to describe our character, because of how visible and active God is in our lives.     

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageEsther 9-10; Acts 7:1-21

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Am I willing? A good question to ask myself as well. Am I willing to do all that God asks, putting aside my own desires? This needs to be my goal and I need to work to achieve it.

Tammy said...

I want to be wiling!

And I want to rely on the Spirit to give wisdom in every situation.