Saturday, December 10, 2016

Saturday, December 10th: 2 Timothy 1-4 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is 2 Timothy 1-4

2 Timothy 1:8a So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. 

I think if we're honest, we've all shied away from an opportunity to share the gospel with others for one reason or another, and likely at least in part because we were a bit worried about what others would think of us. Thankfully, there is grace, even for this.  But this verse is a good reminder that I need to be willing to share the truth about Jesus, no matter what anyone might think of me.

From Chapter 3...
14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you.15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
Studying God's Word - like we're doing together in this blog - is absolutely vital in order for us to grow in our faith and for our lives to reflect Him to a watching world.

Chapter 4...
3 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.
That time is definitely here!  Unbelievers pretty much make up truth so it suits their desires.  And even those who profess to be Christians have been trying to make the Bible say what they want it to say - and not to condemn things the world wants us to embrace.

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.I want to be able to say these words with integrity!


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: 1 Peter 1-5

1 comment:

Nathan said...

2 Timothy 4:16-18
16 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! 17 But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Paul mentions how nobody showed up to stand with him when he was being persecuted, he then goes on to say how they should be in a sense be forgiven for this. What a great example for us, to follow the Lord and not worry what others say or do because of this. We more than likely won't be thrown in jail for talking about Jesus, yet feel uneasy about it at times. I pray for strength in this part of my life, that I am more willing to talk about Jesus.