Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Tuesday, November 29th: Romans 15-16, Acts 20:4-38 ~ Danae

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Romans 15-16, Acts 20:4-38

“…be wise about what is good, & innocent about what is evil.” – Romans 16:19

This is something that has been a part of conversations with the girls in a Bible study that I'm doing. We have been reading a book/study that we don't completely agree with, some of us more than others. That being said, it has definitely brought about some interesting discussions.

We have discussed not putting God “into a box” in our ideas of who he is & being open to considering others’ views. While I agree with this, we do have to continually check these views against what the Bible says.

Romans 16:17-18
I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions & put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk & flattery they deceive the minds of naïve people.

One of the biggest concerns that I have for myself & my children is that we will recognize God’s truth. It can be a difficult thing, especially when we are even warned in the Bible that deception will come from within (2 Corinthians 11:13-For such men are false prophets, deceitful workman, masquerading as apostles of Christ) & that many can take a couple verses of the Bible to twist them in a way to satisfy their own fleshy desires while make convincing arguments .

I was wrestling with this & wondering how someone like me (not a deep intellect, not a seminary student; just the average person) can determine if something is really God’s truth or not.  And then it hit me, “faith like a child.”  God didn't make the Bible hard to understand & if I or anyone needs to spend days/months/years trying to find the right verses & the right translation from Greek or Hebrew to prove a point, it's probably pretty far off base.

Along with that, where's my heart at.  Do I search the Bible to find the answer that satisfies me or am I seeking God's way?


Lord Jesus, thank you for your word that you have given us to follow. Even more than that, I thank you for your Spirit within us that will guide our way.  Help us to truly hear you & seek you; to not twist your words to but to recognize your truth. We live in a time where there is so much division even within Christians & churches & we need to seek you more than ever. Give us a clarity & understanding of what is right in this mixed up, deceiving world.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Acts 21-23

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Discernment is so key! Are we studying the Bible to see what God says, or are we trying to make it say what we eat it to?