Thursday, October 8, 2015

Thursday, October 8th: Ezekiel 45-46, John 19:23-42 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Ezekiel 45-46; John 19:23-42

Sorry this post is going to be so short, but I'm struggling with Ezekiel and wanted to focus just a bit on our John passage.

I love that Jesus, in the midst of His agony on the cross, makes sure that someone He loves and trusts will take care of His mother after He has gone.  Of course, unlike His mother or John, Jesus knows He's going to be gone, not because of His imminent death, but because of His ascension after His resurrection.  Jesus displays such compassion at a time when it would be entirely justified for His sole concern to be enduring the pain of the cross.  Such utter selflessness!

I also love the mention of Joseph and Nicodemus, secret followers of Jesus, who come out of hiding, risking their reputations, in order to give Jesus a proper burial.  Do we ever act like secret believers?  There comes a time when we need to step out and let others know whom we follow.  Are we willing to do that at the risk of our reputations?


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Ezekiel 47-48; John 20

3 comments:

Nathan said...

I love how different prophesies from long before Jesus crucifixion were coming true one by one, like the casting lots for His garment or that throughout everything not one of His bones was broken. If I was a educated Jew watching these things happen, how could I not now believe Jesus was who He said He was? These things were all predicted long before, and aren't a coincidence.

Conrad said...

I also found it interesting how when Jesus was on the cross almost dead, He saw his mother and showed concern for her future well being. He never put His needs ahead of anyone else's, even when He easily could have.

Pamela said...

Ezekiel has been a difficult read for me too! One thing that stood out for me today was the daily sacrifice of the lamb, grain, and oil. Daily. Seems a bit wasteful to burn these items every day for no real purpose than to remind the people they what they have is not theirs and belongs to God. I hold my possessions too tightly and my money even tighter even though they are not mine and would be used not merely burned if I sacrificed them.

Does the Bible ever mentioned what happened to Joseph? We know Jesus' mother was at the cross but when did Joseph leave Jesus' life?