Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sunday, June 28th: Deuteronomy 4-6, Acts 2:1-21 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Deuteronomy 4-6; Acts 2:1-21 

In our OT passage Moses continues to recount the least 40 or so years to the Israelites, reminding the younger generation how the Lord brought their parents out of Egypt with miracles and wondrous signs.  He reminds them of their sin which resulted in the wandering in the desert for 40 years until all the older generation had died off.  He reminds them that they are a chosen people, and that they are to glorify God by living holy lives, completely different than the nations around them.  He tells them that they will conquer the nations currently living in the Promised Land and challenges them not to forget the Lord and all His deeds when times are easy.  He recounts the 10 commandments and reminds them of the importance of continuing to tell their children about all that the Lord has done for them.

Deuteronomy 6    4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[k] 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
I love this passage.  Our God is the Only true God, and we are to love Him with our entire being, and teach our children to do the same.  Are we making this a priority in our lives every day?

In Acts 2 we see the events of Pentecost - the Holy Spirit coming, as Jesus promised, and filling the believers; Peter preaching an amazing sermon that is heard by everyone in their own language.

Our OT and NT passages together testify to our awesome God, His amazing power, and what He has done for us for our good and for His glory!




Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage:  Deuteronomy 7-9, Acts 1:22-47


3 comments:

Conrad said...

There were two passages that stood out for me in the OT reading, and one of them you quoted Tammy. The other is in Deuteronomy 6:2 and they tie in together.

"by keeping His statutes and all His commandments, which I command you, all the days of your life,"

It's not picking the easier commandments to follow, or following them some of the time. But all the commandments, all the time. I work with someone who has had a lot of questions lately about God and Christianity. This is something that he struggles with (as I'm sure many non believers do) because he does some "good things" some of the time.

I pray that I and other believers in his life can continue to witness to him and his family using God's leading and direction.

Nathan said...

The passage that stood out for me is found in Deuteronomy 4:

41 Then Moses set apart three cities in the east beyond the Jordan, 42 that the manslayer might flee there, anyone who kills his neighbor unintentionally, without being at enmity with him in time past; he may flee to one of these cities and save his life: 43 Bezer in the wilderness on the tableland for the Reubenites, Ramoth in Gilead for the Gadites, and Golan in Bashan for the Manassites.

How thoutful this is, to have a place for those who have killed by accident to live. Where they don't have to fear retribution. What an awesome to God, who has all the details covered.

Pamela said...

2 You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

This verse made me think about the recent approval of same-sex unions in the US. We can't add or take away from what God has commanded. However, we must be mindful of our treatment of people who sin differently from us.

SOmething that stood out for me from the NT passage is that sometimes I doubt that God will be able to use me to reach a firm unbeliever for Christ. I doubt I will say the right things. When I read today's passage, it made me realize that God have the gift of languages so that His message of good news would spread. Certainly if He could do that he can give me the words that I need to witness to others because I'm not even trying to learn a new language.