Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wednesday, August 10 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Psalm 149-150, 1 Corinthians 5 

I thoroughly enjoy reading the psalms.  It covers, it seems, all aspects of human emotion.  The more I grow and learn in the word and in prayer, the more I see that praise is not superfluous.  It is essential.  I know I've covered that before, but I see it even more-so at the end of psalms.  Much of the psalms seems tumultuous, and it was.  David had a very eventful life that involved a lot of death and trying to kill.  It's more of an inward groaning of the outward situations.  But the end of the psalms is like a culmination of a life well lived and well learned.  It's a fitting postlude to a lifetime relationship with God.  It is the wise sage, it is the peacefulness that comes from knowing God and learning, through life, to trust Him.  It is beautiful.

I think it's fitting and beautiful that the last psalm is an instruction to just praise the Lord.  Not because He did this, or delivered His people from that.  In fact, there is no reason at all, no thankfulness, no why or wherefore.  Just instruction to praise the Lord.

We live in a 'why' age.  Why did he die?  Why is that rule in place?  Why is this happening to me?  Why can't I do things the way I want?  I live with a 'why' girl.  She wants to know the reason for so many things.  We want to know why.  Why should we praise the Lord?  I love that in this psalm there is no reason why.  We simply must praise Him.  We are created to praise, created for His glory.  It is in our very being, our very nature to praise Him.  The reason why we praise Him comes as we are praising or after.  We praise not because we have a reason, we praise because He is the reason.

I imagine this is what heaven will be like.  Everything that is there will praise Him.  Imagine the thunderous noise of every living being praising our God!  That is one good reason to praise Him, it is a glimpse of our heavenly inheritance.  We look away from ourselves to the God who created us.

And one more thing, praise is not quiet.  Oh it can be, but according to this psalm, get out there and make some noise!!

Now go praise your day!


Tomorrow's passage: 1 Chronicles 1-3, 1 Corinthians 6

4 comments:

tammi said...

I had the same thoughts about the final Psalm ~ what a fitting ending!

I also noticed that the next page in my Bible is titled: "Where to get help in the book of Psalms"! I mentioned a while back that I had always wanted to record certain Psalms to remember where to go in certain occasions, but it seems the work has already been done for me!

Pamela said...

I had not really thought about the changing themes of Psalms and how it ends with a deep sense of praise. Thanks for pointing that out.

Nice gift Tammi!

Jody said...

"We praise not because we have a reason, we praise because He is the reason." Amen!

Tammy said...

I loved your statement that Jody quoted too. Great post Kathryn.