Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wednesday, June 29 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Ecclesiastes 4-6, Acts 9:23-43

Today (tuesday) marks three weeks of dealing with some sort of virus making it's rounds in my family.  It's left it's familiar mark on everyone as it left and now it's settled on me.  I love the SOAP method for bible study when my brain isn't really 'there', so that's what I'll be employing today.

Scripture:
Acts 29:3In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas), who was always doing good and helping the poor.


Observation:
Tabitha was a very active member of The Way.  So much so that when she died the people around her sought out Peter to revive her, I believe, so that she could continue her ministry.

Application:
I often feel guilty for 'doing'.  I'm a do-er.  I feel this guilt in the light of the story of Mary and Martha.  Martha was not chided for what she was doing, but rather for not choosing the best.

The story of Tabitha shows me that doing is not wrong, in fact, some are created and gifted to 'do'.  It spreads the gospel, shows the light to those who are in darkness.  But the story of Tabitha also shows me that my doing had better be for the Glory of God and not for the betterment of myself.

Ooo, ouch.  That's been a lesson God's been teaching me lately.  Who am I doing this for?  Who is going to receive the glory for this one?  I believe we need to be careful to remember that this life, our lives are not about us.  They are for the glory of God, for the furthering of His kingdom, to make Him famous.

Tabitha's friends I'm sure missed her, I'm sure some of their desires were to have her back because she was a good friend.  But I don't think that's all it was.  I believe she was an active part of the body at Joppa and they knew they would feel the void without her there.

God was glorified in her living, doing and in her death and resurrection.  I pray we can all say the same.

Prayer:
Father God our lives are for You.  You have created us with gifts and talents, show us how to use them for Your glory, for Your purpose.  Guide us Father.  We seek to honor You.  Love you God.  Amen.    


Tomorrow's passage: Ecclesiastes 7-9; Acts 10:1-23

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Great post Kathryn. The key to pretty much everything is the heart. What is our motive? Who are we trying to glorify? Often uncomfortable questions. Thankfully God's not done with us yet!!

Miriam said...

Great post! Definitely something I've been thinking a lot about lately as well.

Pamela said...

Great post. I think it is a good reminder to be a "do-er" for the right reasons.