Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday - June 6, Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Psalm 109-110, Psalm 138, John 16

Happy Monday everyone!

Scripture:
Psalm 109:21
 21 But you, Sovereign LORD,
   help me for your name’s sake;
   out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.

Observation:
I love how this verse outlines the WHY of God helping us. It's not to make us happy. It's not to make us comfortable. It's for HIS names sake. It is simply out of the goodness of his love that he delivers us.

Application:
To me, this verse goes back to a common theme throughout the Word. Working our hearts and minds to believe and pray that God be glorified in our circumstances instead of ourselves. Easy to say, not so easy to follow through. It means looking beyond my difficulties of today, and seeking out how God might be glorified in my situation.

Prayer:
Father. Be glorified in my life. Work within me to recognize that you will work all things out to your glory in the end. Thank you for your goodness that delivers me into your will. Amen


Tomorrow's passage: Psalm 139-141, John 17

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Thanks, Jody. This is something that's really become a lot more clear to me as I've been spending time on a daily or mostly daily basis reading the Bible. I particularly like the verse in John 15 (yesterday's reading) where it says "every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." Pruning, or the refiner's fire, or however you choose to think of it, isn't fun, but He will care for us and lead us through it, and the day will come when we will be perfect, as He is purifying us to be.

Tammy said...

The perspective that God wills and acts in order to glorify His name really is life changing.

Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela said...

Great post. This verse stood out for me:

John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

He promised that we WILL have trouble but also that He has our back.