Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday, April 2-guest post by Pamela

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Deuteronomy 26-27; Luke 7:1-30.

As I read through today's passage, one of the parts that stood out for me was the choral reading. To be honest, I am not a fan of choral reading in church. For whatever reason, I hear the choral reading as a monotone chanting that makes me think of cults. I know, odd. Deuteronomy 27: 14- 26 is one big long choral reading. However, today as I read through these verses I saw that this choral reading was the affirmation of what the people were hearing and the promise that they would not only hear these commands but obey them and live by them. Responding "Amen" to each of the commands meant more than a simple "yeah, I guess I will obey".

From this site:
[amen] is one of the few words of scripture which is written in it's original Hebrew form. In fact, it is practically a universal word, having been adopted directly from the Hebrew into Greek, Latin, English, Spanish, and many other languages. Found both in the Old and the New Testaments, it is also translated in different ways, depending upon the context of the passage in which it is found. This Hebrew Amen is derived from the root [aman], which means to be firm or solid in the sense of permanency. Thus by implication, it means to be sure, true or faithful. So whenever we see this word Amen used in scripture, it is affirming truth, or illustrating something is said that is of absolute certainty. (emphasis mine)

The Israelites were declaring to be firm and faithful to the commands that God was requiring of them. The verses in Deuteronomy suggest that:

Here God's people are commanded to give an amen or assent to the word of God. In doing so, they are asserting that this is the truth and that they are in agreement with all that has been said. Whenever we pronounce the 'Amen' or 'truth' to the laws and commandments of God, we are giving witness or testimony to our confidence in it. i.e., we are a faithful witness endorsing the testimony of the Lord. By contrast to an unfaithful witness to scripture who denies it (by word or deeds). When someone says Amen, they are either:

  • Affirming from their heart that they believe that what God said is perfect, absolutely true, and faithful.
  • Making an affirmation in agreement to what is being read or preached as the gospel truth to which they are dedicated.
  • Affirming the certainty that their prayers and petitions, when asked in accordance to God's will being done, are pleasing to God and will be heard by Him.
So when you say Amen, it really should be considered a solemn oath of agreement before God, which should never be uttered lightly.

Honestly, I had never considered that "amen" had such a significance. Did you?

The Bible says that "then all the people shall say Amen!" Not simply, "I agree" or "I will try" or even "yes, I promise" but "Amen!" with an exclamation mark. To enter into a solemn oath agreement before God with enthusiasm and desire to follow the commands of God.

The final command in verse 26 says:
26 ‘Cursed is the one who does not confirm all the words of this law by observing them.’
“And all the people shall say, ‘Amen!’”

My bible highlights this verse as significant because "it is not enough to assert allegiance to the law but one must live according to its stipulations." It's one thing to know what God is asking but quite another to actually do it in our daily lives.

Finally, just one quick thing I wanted to add about Luke 7:9...
7 That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 9 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.”

In my bible it gives reference to the fact that "The amazement of Jesus is only mentioned twice, here because of belief and in Mark 6:6 because of unbelief."

Wouldn't it be an honour to amaze Jesus with our faith? To believe, as the Centurion did that Jesus just needed to say the words of healing for his servant to be restored to health. To be able to admit that He is so powerful and that I am not worthy of Him in my house and yet believe and know that He could do what I am asking. I would love for my faith to amaze God.

Tomorrow's passage: Deuteronomy 28-29 and Luke 7:31-50

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Great post, Pam. I wasn't fully aware of how significant the word Amen is either.

I find it interesting that you don't care for choral reading. I've always loved it and it happens so rarely in the churches I've attended. It's actually one of the things I like about Anglican services, the few times I've been to an Anglican church. For me, choral reading emphasizes the meaning of the words in a similar way to singing praise and worship together as a congregation. Hearing myself read them out loud in company with everyone else makes it easier for me to concentrate on the words and what they mean, and I'm less likely to be distracted.

I love the story of the centurion's faith. What Bible do you have? I like the comment you quoted from it. I would never have picked up on something like that, but it is significant.

Tammy said...

Great thoughts here Pam. Great info on "amen", that just adds a whole new dimension to the Israelites affirmations in this chapter.

I love the story of the centurion and his amazing faith!

Pamela said...

Miriam-it's actually Conrad's bible that I find myself reaching for on my posting day. (When it isn't, I'll often just read it online.) It's an NIV and Message parallel bible with study notes from the "Zondervan NIV study bible". I know that not everyone is a fan of the Message but I have really enjoyed reading the "Grade 1 Version" of the bible. It often brings my attention to things I may not have noticed reading the NIV version that I grew up with. I especially enjoy reading the texts side by side.

I appreciated your thoughts on choral reading and love worshipping in song as a group but for some reason I can't get over the choral reading together. I'm odd, I guess.