Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March 2, 2011 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Leviticus 14, Mark 8:1-21

I was very excited about today's reading, until I tried to search out some answers I had for my questions.  Then I got very frustrated.  So I'm going with what I got.

I found it interesting that Leviticus has a lot to say about leprosy.  In my studying it seems that the modern day disease is thought to be vastly different than the disease as described in the bible.  Here is the description of the modern day leprosy and here is a description of the biblical leprosy.  At any rate, it is a disorder that the bible describes in detail, something that God does not want us to miss.  In our reading today it deals with the cleansing of healed lepers.  Which I found very interesting.  Vss. 8 and 9 state that the person must shave all the hair off their bodies.  And not just once, but twice in the same week!  That's a lot of shaving!  And I'm sure they didn't have razors like we had.  But we are talking bald, everywhere.  And I'm betting that oil that was put on their heads felt good after all that shaving.  My one question, though, was why the right ear, right thumb and right big toe?  What's the deal with the right?  And why those places?  Any insight?

I also find it interesting how these passages fall for each us for where we've been in life.  Vss 33-57 hearken  me back to a very bad time in our lives. I think I've mentioned before about the house we lived in previous to this house.  We got a bad case of black mold in Nadia's room.  The day we started to rip that out we all ended up in the ER.  Nadia had slept in that room from the day she was born and constantly had colds and ear infections.  It's no surprise to me why the Lord has strict regulations concerning funky fungi that can grow in our houses.  So many times the laws God has put on us are not Him being mean, but it's for our protection.

Our Mark passage covers the feeding of the 4000, which we've seen before.  Some theorize this group were gentiles.  At any rate, it's a massive amount of people who have been following Jesus around for a while.  I love how this whole passage shows the heart and emotions of Jesus.  First, he has compassion on the people because they are hungry.  He is aware of their physical needs.  I am sure most of them were thinking of the big physical needs they had, like the diseases that needed healed, ears opened up, eyes illuminated or limbs straightened.  And maybe they weren't all that hungry just yet, but Jesus saw beyond their current state into what might happen and he provided for them.  I love that about Jesus.  In all ways he is thinking about us.  And here he sees our very basic of needs, that being food.  And he provides.  Why should I worry about anything more?  Here these people had nothing to give back to him and yes, they could've packed more food, or went back earlier, or just roughed it and walked to the nearest town, but that doesn't happen.  He decides to perform a miracle and provide.  And while it was a miracle it wasn't flashy.  It was to provide a basic need.  I find this so interesting.

Then in vss 11-12 we see more of Jesus' heart.  He is exasperated!  I don't know why, but I kinda find this funny.  I can picture Jesus just sort of exhaling, shaking his head, or maybe rubbing his temples (my husband does that when he's exasperated).  Christ is so human!  He gets frustrated, tired and fed up with foolish people!  I'm sure we can all relate to that!  And best yet, he shows us how to deal with them.  He does nothing.  He walks away.  I'm wondering if he's saying here 'it isn't worth my time'.  Not that a true, repenting soul isn't, but those trying to trip Jesus up isn't.  I'm wondering if the same is true for us, or could be for us?  Here's where I'm coming from: I'm not a good debater.  I just don't argue well with those who are educated and can articulate themselves well quickly.  I fear situations like that.  But maybe people like that we don't need to engage them.  Especially if they are just out to prove us wrong.  Scripture says that we need to be ready with a answer for the hope that we have and that answer is just our personal experience.  Some people are gifted debaters (like my husband who was on debate team in high school), some are not, like yours truly.  And there is place for us both in the kingdom.  There are times that Jesus does engage them and there are times that he just simply walks away.  What a comfort.

Studying the scriptures can only enhance our abilities to answer others and so I commend and encourage you as you continue in your efforts.  Blessings friends.



 Tomorrow's passage: Leviticus 15-16, Mark 8:22-38

5 comments:

tammi said...

I think discernment is definitely the key here with Jesus, but with us, too, when dealing with annoying fools! (whether they are fools in the fullest sense, or just in my opinion!)

I come from a very large extended family of debaters/arguers and it's been extremely difficult to break that habit. But I find I've got a few checks and balances in place that weren't there before, like, does it really MATTER who's right? Am I arguing because I'm concerned the other person really is in the dark about the truth, or simply because of my perverse need to prove them wrong? Is this the right time and forum for this "discussion?"

A couple years ago, I would never have cared about the answer to those questions and just dived right in, making enemies and hurting feelings along the way. But since developing a greater hunger for God and daily asking for His strength to be the woman He wants me to be has definitely made a change in that aspect of my life and personality.

I love that we see the "humanness" of Jesus from time to time, but also that we can still learn to be more godly people, even in examining the times He lost His temper!

Miriam said...

Definitely a "pick your battles" moment in verses 11&12. Jesus probably knew that while he COULD show them a miraculous sign, they would still choose not to believe, or accuse him of something instead, so he simply walked away from it.

Thanks for your thoughts, Kathryn! Sorry to hear about what you went through with your last house.

Jody said...

Great post Kathryn!! My nature is to debate and argue until the cows come home! However, I have worked very hard in the last couple of years to stay silent (sometimes) and learn to discern when to speak and went to keep quiet.

Pamela said...

I loved that you wrote this:
"So many times the laws God has put on us are not Him being mean, but it's for our protection. "
So true.

I also was surprised by the disciples when they were concerned about what they would eat after just witnessing the way Jesus providing for thousands of people, not just once but twice. Then I think about myself and my lack of faith when God has always shown that it is clear that he knows what he is doing. I guess some things never change.

Tammy said...

Great post Kathryn, thank you!

One thing that jumped out at me was Lev 14:34....
When you enter the land of Canaan, which I am giving you as your possession, and I put a spreading mold in a house in that land...
God is sovereign, even over mold.

I don't know why the right ear, etc in particular. But what is interesting, is that those are the exact same places used in the priests consecration.

The significance of the blood and the oil, according to Matthew Henry..."Wherever the blood of Christ is applied for justification the oil of the Spirit is applied for sanctification; for these two are inseparable and both necessary to our acceptance with God."