Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday, March 4 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Leviticus 17-18; Mark 9:1-29

Today's readings we find out more about why God didn't want His people eating the blood of any animal, and also that the sacrifices HAD to be made by a priest at the tabernacle.  If the people were free to make sacrifices on their own, they might begin to add to or subtract from God's laws to fit their lifestyles in a way that suited them better, and their worship would no longer be pleasing to God because it would no longer be ABOUT pleasing God, but about pleasing themselves.

I couldn't help it, but what immediately popped into my head as I read this explanation in my study Bible is churches that have moved their services to a weeknight specifically so that their parishoners don't have to sacrifice any of their valuable time and leisure activities on the weekends in order to attend.  I know there are pros and cons, and I don't believe for a minute that you're not a true Christian if you go to church on Wednesday night instead of Sunday morning, but I always find it a little sad when the church, as a whole, makes that decision. Worshipping with fellow believers is something we should crave!  Something we love doing, that feels like a blessing from God.  It shouldn't feel like an obligation that we have to give up some of our free time for.

Then we have a chapter on sexual standards, and I found it interesting that some of these rules even had to be mentioned ~ like not having sex with your sister (seems like a no-brainer to me!  Eeew.) or with aunts or the wives of any other man, related or not.  This last category was already covered by the "Thou shalt not commit adultery" commandment, I would have thought.

I find it a little appalling that they needed these rules, but my Life Application Bible reminded me that part of the reason for all these specifics is because the Israelites had been surrounded by the corrupt and detestable idol-worship practices ~ which often involved sexual acts ~ in Egypt and they were going to Canaan, where the same would be true.  Not only that, but there had been no previous precedent set by God regarding this issue, so for all they knew, what was happening around them wasn't wrong.  God wanted to make very sure they knew what was and wasn't acceptable to Him so that they would be noticeably different from their surrounding pagan nations.

Another thing I found interesting is that the reason given for not sleeping with your mother, your step-mother, your aunt, your aunt-in-law, or your brother's wife is not because it was detestable, but because it would dishonour the woman's husband.  I think the reason that struck me is because we hear so much about certain countries, cultures, and religions embracing and condoning the practice of "honour killings," and it's ALWAYS the woman who pays the price, regardless of what kind of relationship it was.  Here in the Bible, the responsibility for honouring or dishonouring another man ~ related, unrelated, or even one's own self ~ is placed solely on the MAN.  I think this is another indication of how God intends men to take responsibility for the protection and provision for those women placed under their care whether a wife, a daughter, a single cousin or sister, or widowed mother.

Then we come to the momentous event of the Transfiguration, where Jesus meets with Elijah and Moses, and God once again proclaims Jesus is His dearly loved Son and we need to listen to Him.  My Bible notes that the transfiguration "revealed Christ's divine nature.  God's voice exalted Jesus above Moses and Elijah as the long-awaited Messiah with full divine authority.  Moses represented the law, and Elijah, the prophets.  Their appearance showed Jesus as the fulfillment of both the Old Testaemnt law and the prophetic pomises.

Jesus was not a reincarnation of Elijah or Moses.  He was not merely one of the prophets.  As God's only Son, He far surpasses them in authority and power."

And then I wanted to share something that struck me about the healing of the demon-possessed boy.  I love that verse where Jesus says, in effect, "If I can heal your son?  What do you mean, 'IF I can heal him?!'  Of course, I can heal him!  Everything is possible for him who believes."  But I think it's interesting that Jesus isn't saying here that we can automatically obtain or receive anything we want if we just think positively.  Jesus meant that anything was POSSIBLE because nothing is too difficult for God.  We cannot have everything we pray for as if by magic; but with faith, He provides everything we need to serve Him.

I found that last phrase very powerful as I struggled last week to surrender my eyesight to God.  Yes, I prayed for answers and healing, but at the same time, I wanted to be willing to give up my eyesight if it meant serving Him more effectively.  It was a constant, daily, moment-by-moment struggle ~ surrender is not a one-time thing!  But our focus in everything needs to be serving Him with whatever we have, and then He will make sure we have everything we need.

Not necessarily what we want, but everything we really need.

I take great comfort in that.









Tomorrow's passages: Leviticus 19-20; Mark 9:30-50

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks Tammi. The exact same things stuck out for me too!

I LOVED that quote in the Life Application Bible about the transfiguration - I had always wondered why it was Moses and Elijah in particular that were with Jesus then. Very neat.

I always love the response of the boy's father - "Lord, I believe, help me overcome my unbelief." We don't need to have it all together before God will hear us or help us. But we do need to ask Him to help us overcome our unbelief, or whatever it is that we're struggling with.

Dana said...

Great post! I love it how you said he will provide everything we NEED if we serve him.

Jody said...

Thank you Tammi. I really like your points surrounding the reasons for not sleeping with various women. So true that it is often the women paying the price - even in our culture today we see a woman's reputation tarnished much sooner than a man's in these situations. Taking responsibility for one's actions and how they affect the involved parties is paramount! And I also like "He provides everything we need to serve Him". Not "everything we need to live a comfy life" or "everything we need to look & live pretty" but "everything we need to SERVE HIM". And sometimes what we need is hardship, so He provides! Thanks Tammi.

tammi said...

Good point, Jody, about our culture's double-standard as well with regards to mens' and womens' reputations being affected by their relationships. We're really no better in that respect ~ just different.

Pamela said...

Great post. I think the specifics regarding not having sex with your sister, aunt, etc. is to make perfectly clear what God expects. Just like when giving the specific and detailed instructions when construction the tabernacle was explained, these specific instructions regarding sexual relations are to make sure there are no discrepancies or room for interpretation.