Saturday, September 18, 2010

September 18th - guest post by Pamela

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Nehemiah 3-7:3
Scripture: Nehemiah 4:6 and Nehemiah 7:15-16
6 So we rebuilt the wall till all of it reached half its height, for the people worked with all their heart.
15 So the wall was completed on the twenty-fifth of Elul, in fifty-two days. 16 When all our enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God.

Observation: Enter into a task with perseverance and reliance on God and even the impossible can be achieved.

Application: God's power to do the impossible is limitless. I am sure that rebuilding a wall that had been down for 150 years would have seemed like a daunting task. An impossible dream. A job that was just too big to complete. And it was...except that "the people worked with all their heart" and the "work had been done with the help of our God". We sometimes underestimate what God can accomplish because the situation just seems too large and so we are reluctant to even start it. I know, for me, I struggle to even start something when I think it is too big and that seeing the job to completion seems impossible and so I procrastinate and I certainly do not work at it with all my heart! Then I think about starting university 7 years ago after being out of school for a LONG time and that at the beginning it did seems like an impossible journey. Balancing a heavy course load with a husband and 3 young children who still needed me at home. It was a test of perseverance for sure and God's help through the prayer that I made it through the impossible and graduated last year. Not only did I succeed at the impossible task but now I am reaping the rewards at my dream job (that I honestly feel God had planned for me the whole time). I am certain that the people were reaping the rewards of the completion of their impossible task when the wall was completed as well. Can you imagine their joy when they had the wall rebuilt after 150 years and it had been completed in less than 2 months?! With God, all things are possible (Matthew 19:26) Is there something in your life that seems impossible and needs rebuilding?

"The thought of rebuilding is something that I think each of us needs to meditate upon at times. I believe that over time in our lives we unfortunately can tear things down. Things that need rebuilding. Perhaps we have torn down our faith in some way. Perhaps our love for God. Perhaps our connection to a church community. Perhaps our relationship with a family member. Perhaps our service to the poor. Will you meditate upon your life and begin to rebuild in that area? Will you pray to God for strength in rebuilding in that area and will you allow his Spirit to lead you? I pray you will be encouraged by our readings this week in Nehemiah as you read about the Israelites rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem. And I pray you will begin rebuilding the things in your life that have perhaps tumbled down over time!" excerpt from here

For a while, this song was my theme song. I heard it for the first time during a time when I was struggling with the impossible prospect of staying at my school when there was no job for me. It was impossible and yet I could hear God speaking to me through the words of this song to just trust in Him and that through Him the impossible could become possible. If you are struggling with your own "impossible" situation I hope this song encourages you.


Prayer: Lord, it is only through You that the impossible becomes possible. Our human minds can't even begin to comprehend the amazing power You have. We need Your help to have the desire to work with all our hearts and lean on You for seeing tasks to completion as You have planned. Help us to understand that it is not us but You who make it possible. Lord, I pray for everyone struggling through situations that seem just too big for them and wrap Your arms around them and let them feel Your presence and Your assurance that You will see them through. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: Nehemiah 7:4-8:12

2 comments:

tammi said...

God really does work in amazing ways ~ and usually NOT in the way we think He will, or figure we need Him to, but usally BETTER than what we envisioned in the first place! I've certainly experienced that as well. And remembering those situations is one of the reasons I blog. So I can look back and remind myself of the times God has been GREAT in a very real and tangeible way, and so I have stories to tell my girls when they ask someday why I think God is a big deal.

Tammy said...

So true Pam! It's so easy to get discouraged when our focus is on ourselves and all the work WE have to do. We need to remember to get our eyes off us and onto Jesus. That perspective just makes all the difference!