Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 30th

Today's reading in the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 2 Kings 16:19-20; 2 Chronicles 28:26-27; Isaiah 13-16:14.

The Lord Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand." Isaiah 14:24

This verse was specifically referring to the prophesied doom of Assyria (which came true - see 2 Kings 19 and Isaiah 37:21-38).

But this is definitely a verse that we can take huge comfort in for our lives as well. Though I still have trouble wrapping my mind around our free will and God's purposes being fulfilled, I know that this verse is true. I know that God's purposes will prevail - through us or in spite of us.

And because God is good, we can take comfort in knowing that nothing can thwart His purposes. He is sovereign, He is in control, He is all-powerful, He is mercy, He is justice, He is compassion, He is love, He is the Alpha and Omega.

He IS.

Tomorrow's passage: 2 Chronicles 29:3-31:21

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I noticed that verse as well as a couple more that follow it:

26 I have a plan for the whole earth,
a hand of judgment upon all the nations.
27 The Lord of Heaven’s Armies has spoken—
who can change his plans?
When his hand is raised,
who can stop him?”

That's the New Living Translation. I don't remember hearing or reading the title "Lord of Heaven's Armies" before. It could be because I don't normally read the New Living Translation and the NIV uses Lord Almighty instead. Somehow, seeing it expressed in another way brought it home to me a little more so this morning that while God is a loving father, he is also the mightiest of warriors. We tend to think "God can do ANYTHING" when we are praying for a miracle such as an illness to be healed and we forget that "God can do ANYTHING" also means he can destroy the entire universe without a second's hesitation if he so chooses. How astonishing and humbling to realize that in spite of how insignificant, weak and powerless we are, He chooses not to destroy us all because He loves us.