Thursday, April 29, 2010

April 29th

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 2 Samuel 17:15-29, Psalm 3, Psalm 63, 2 Samuel 18:1-19:30

The point I want to focus on from today's reading is David's warped perspective and the lesson we can learn from this.

David had let his love for his son warp his perspective. He was putting his son above everyone else - his kingdom, his friends and even his own family.

He put his army in a virtually impossible situation - he wanted them to fight Absalom's army but not Absalom.

And then, when they were victorious, instead of giving them the victory celebration they deserved, he mourned for his son to such an extent that he made them feel guilty - for risking their lives to defend David and his kingdom with honour and loyalty!

Definitely a warped perspective.

Thankfully, Joab correctly rebukes David, and thankfully David listens to Joab. Joab was not necessarily a godly man, but in this case, his advice was spot on.

A warped perspective is something that we are all susceptible to, especially if we allow ourselves to be immersed in the unbiblical worldview of our culture. The only way to combat this, the only way to maintain a biblical perspective, is to immerse ourselves in the Bible - to read it, to study it, to saturate our minds with the Word of God.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. Psalm 119:97-100

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105

Tomorrow's passage: 2 Samuel 19:31-20:26, Psalm 7, 2 Samuel 21:1-22, 1 Chronicles 20:4-8

No comments: