Friday, May 19, 2017

Friday, May 19th: 1 Chronicles 7-9; John 6:22-44 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is 1 Chronicles 7-9; John 6:22-44

Back in Numbers 16 we saw Korah (and others) come under the judgment of God. But some of his sons were spared.  God still had a purpose and a plan, even for this family.  I was blessed to be born into a family of believers, but not everyone has this same background.  Some people may be ashamed of their ancestry - perhaps some of Korah's sons or grandsons or great-grandsons were ashamed of their father and thought theirs was a hopeless case.  But this story shows that your faith in God is not dependant on your heritage.  God redeemed the family of Korah (1 Chronicles 9:19), and He can do the same for you!

Our NT brings up several topics, of which I will mention two.

First - we see clearly that we are to follow Jesus because of who He is, not simply to get something from Him.  We shouldn't just see Him as the source of bread or miracles, but rather the Source of Life itself!

Second - this passage reminds us that election and man's responsibility somehow work together - how, we may not understand, but it doesn't make it less true.

35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42 They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage:  1 Chronicles 10-12; John 6:45-71

1 comment:

Nathan said...

John 6:27
Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.

I'm often concerned with work issues or other everyday issues, here we see that we shouldn't worry about "food that perishes" but rather be focused on "food that endures to eternal life".