Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sunday, April 3rd: Judges 8-9 ~ Kelora

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Judges 8 - 9


When I first read these passages my first thought was how much fighting there was in these chapters.  It would so nice if everyone would just get along and follow God’s commands.  Needless to say there were a few things that stood out for me from these 2 passages.  

At the beginning of Chapter 8 I couldn’t understand at first why the Ephraimites and the the officials of Succoth refused to give Gideon and his army food?  I read in a commentary that these leaders felt left out because they Gideon did not ask them to join the battle but they were left “to clean up the escaping Midianites (the gleanings)”.  Gideon explained to them they were the ones who captured the enemy’s generals and that that this couldn’t be compared to anything Gideon had done.  Many times the “behind the scenes” jobs are often thought of as the less desirable because a lot of times these people are often forgotten or feel unappreciated.  Most of these jobs that no one necessarily sees are extremely important.  I need to remember this lesson in my own life when I feel like a job that I might be doing seems unimportant.

It was disappointing to me when I read in Chapter 8:30-31 that even though Gideon had many wives he also had a concubine.  With his concubine he had a son Abimelech.  In my Life Application Bible it stated “Gideon’s story illustrates the fact that heroes in battle are not always heroes in daily life.  Gideon led the nation but could not lead his family”.  As can be seen in Chapter 9 there were a lot of family problems that happened because of this relationship.  The most shocking for me was when Abimelech had his 69 brothers murdered as he wanted to become King.  Abimlelech’s goal was to have power and this unfortunately controlled and unfortunately as a result there was a lot of bloodshed and the only way this bloodshed could be stopped is with his death. 





Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Judges 10-12

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Definitely a lot of fighting and bloodshed in this passage!

One thing that surprised me was that there was no immediate action of judgement when Jotham uttered his curses. Jotham had to wait 3 whole years before he was vindicated by their deaths. 3 years?! A reminder that God works on His timetable not mine.