Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sunday, March 20th: Deuteronomy 26-27 ~ Kelora

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Deuteronomy 26-27 - Kelora

After reading these 2 chapters a few things stood out for me. Chapter 26 gives instructions about tithing before they enter the Promise Land. God gives specific instructions about giving the first fruits that are produced from the soil and how much to give. By instructing the Israelites to tithe helps them to remember to be thankful for all that God has given them and not forget where they came from and how God has been faithful and kept his promises.   When we tithe we are honouring God and it also reminds us that everything we have belongs to God.

One verse that stood out to me in Chapter 27 is verse 5.  "Build there an altar to the Lord your God, an altar of stones. Do not use any iron tool on them."  I was wondering why the Israelites were instructed to not use iron tools on the altar stones. After reading a commentary about this I learned that "the Lord had specified an altar made of uncut stones so that people would not begin to worship the altars as idols."  I found another reference about the Israelites being instructed not to use tools when they built an altar which I found interesting.  In Exodus 20:25 it says "If you make an altar of stones for me, do not build it with dressed stones, for you will defile it if you use a tool on it. "  This altar was to be sacred for sacrificing to God.  

Chapter 26 was meaningful to me as this reminded me why we tithe and how important it is to always remember the blessings God has given to us.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Deuteronomy 28-29

1 comment:

Tammy said...

This verse stood out to me....

27:9b-10 Today you have become the people of the Lord your God. So you must obey the Lord your God by keeping all these commands and decrees that I am giving you today.

If we are His people, the way we live our lives should reflect that.