Friday, February 19, 2016

Friday, February 19th: Leviticus 11-13 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Leviticus 11-13

Today, I chose to do the S.O.A.P. format.......

Scripture:
"I am the Lord, who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy."  Leviticus 11:45

Observation:
God is the Holy One of Israel, the God set apart from all other Gods, the One so powerful and so majestic that He alone deserves to be held in awe.

Application:
To be holy is to be set apart for God.  As God's people we are holy because God has declared us holy in His sight because of Jesus.  Yet, we are called to keep growing in holiness, as we work at separating ourselves from sin in our everyday lives.

The word "holy" appears more in the book of Leviticus than any other book of the Bible.  Israel was to be totally consecrated to God.  Her holiness was to be expressed in every aspect of her life; to the extent that all of life had a certain ceremonial quality.   We are no different today.  We are to exhibit the same dedication of holiness in our lives as the Israelites were commanded to back then.

Leviticus 11:47 says, "You must distinguish between the unclean and the clean,".  In this passage, it is referring to clean and unclean food, however, I believe we need to apply this logic to every aspect of our daily walk.  We need to be mindful of what it is that we are allowing to enter inside us.  Whether it's the movies we watch, or the music we listen to, what we take in will affect and shape who we are.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, thank you for who you are.  You lead the Israelites out of Egypt, and you continue to lead us today.  You have asked us to only concern ourselves with the "clean" things that surround us and to avoid the "unclean".  I pray that as I take on my daily routines that I would be mindful of what I am taking in, and that I would continue to have the desire to grow closer to you.  I pray that I would give you the glory that you deserve, and remember who you are and what you've done both in my life and in others.  I ask that I would be willing to fully dedicate myself to you, and that I would make progress in holiness, and not toward holiness.   Amen.  

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Leviticus 14-15

2 comments:

Pamela said...

It's really easy to say that the things we surround ourselves with don't really matter because we can withstand the pressures. However, as parents we tell our kids that they will become like the people they surround themselves with. We become like the people we surround ourselves with. We adapt to the behaviours we see. When we don't separate ourselves from behaviours and practices that threaten to change us (not for the better) we eventually become unrecognizable from unbelievers.

Tammy said...

It is so easy to fall for the lie that the things we put into our minds won't affect us. It will.

So thankful that we are able to be truly cleansed by the power of the Holy Spirit through the life, death, and resurrection of our perfect sacrifice, Jesus Christ.