Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday, January 23rd: Job 18-20 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Job 18-20

In Chapter 18 Bildad rejected Job's side of the story because it didn't fit with his preconceived notions of God.  God is just, therefore the righteous are blessed while the wicked are punished.  If Job is suffering it means he is being punished, therefore he must have sinned.  Logical, simple, cause and effect.

But Job KNEW it wasn't that.  Oh, he knew he wasn't perfect.  But he knew himself to be a godly man who lived a life faithful to God.  That was why Job was so frustrated - he couldn't understand it either, because the logic of that philosophy had likely been his as well, until he was the one suffering.

Previously, in 9:32-33 Job had cried out....
God is not a mortal like me,
so I cannot argue with him or take him to trial.
If only there were a mediator between us,
someone who could bring us together
.

And in today's Chapter 19:25-27, we see these amazing words set amidst the unknown cause of Job's suffering....
But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,
and he will stand upon the earth at last.
And after my body has decayed,
yet in my body I will see God!
I will see him for myself.
Yes, I will see him with my own eyes.
I am overwhelmed at the thought!

Wow!  What an amazing ringing affirmation of absolutely confident hope!  Job didn't know about the conversation between Satan and God.  Job didn't have the books of the law or poetry or prophets to give him any information about the Messiah or the concept of the resurrection.  He also still had no idea why he was suffering to such a great degree.  He didn't know why God seemed to be against him at the time.  But he KNEW that in the end, God would be on his side.

And Jesus Christ is the answer to Job's heart's cry, and to our heart's cry as well.  Jesus is that mediator that we so desperately need.  Jesus gives us assurance that man will live again.  Jesus came in the flesh so that we might see him face to face.

We have so much more information than Job had when he made that incredible statement of faith.  Is our faith that strong?


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Job 21-23

4 comments:

Conrad said...

Good point about Job not having the information available to him like we do today.

Nathan said...

I admire how Job sticks to his belief and faith that in the end God will be on his side. It's difficult to see this while going through hard times.

Pamela said...

That same passage stood out for me too...especially this:
25 I know that my redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand on the earth.

Confidence in knowing that he has a redeemer. Confidence that God triumphs over struggle. Confidence that God has control over everything on earth.

Emma said...

Those verses also stood out to me. I've also been thinking throughout this book that I need to take the bad example of "friendship" that Job's "friends" have shown and apply that to my life. Meaning, Job's "friends" have shown me exactly what NOT to say to my friends when they are in need of my comfort. How often am I speaking when I should just be listening?