Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Wednesday, August 20th Psalm 6

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Job 21-22; Psalm 145; Galatians 4
Today's scripture focus is Psalm 6

Psalm 6 English Standard Version (ESV)

Lord, Deliver My Life

To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments; according to The Sheminith. A Psalm of David.

Lordrebuke me not in your anger,
    nor discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
    heal me, O Lordfor my bones are troubled.
My soul also is greatly troubled.
    But you, O Lordhow long?
Turn, O Lord, deliver my life;
    save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of you;
    in Sheol who will give you praise?
I am weary with my moaning;
    every night I flood my bed with tears;
    I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eye wastes away because of grief;
    it grows weak because of all my foes.
Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
    for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my plea;
    the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled;
    they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.
David's circumstances seem hopeless, and he is sleepless and helpless as he pours out his heart to God.  In this case it seems that his circumstances were a result of his sin, and he cries out to God, not for immunity from judgment, but that it would be tempered with mercy.

And, of course, we know that the very definition of mercy means that he (and we!) didn't deserve mercy.

Note the basis on which he asks for deliverance - God's steadfast love.

It reminds me of our sermon in church this past week - we are to obey God because God's love compels us.  God's love compels us to love Him in obedience.  And God's love provides us with mercy when we fail and turn to Him in repentance.  His love is the source of His mercy, not any good works we may try to perform to win His favour.  His favour cannot be won - it is unmerited.

Praise His name!


Tomorrow's scripture focus: Psalm 7
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Job 23-24, Psalm 146, Galatians 5

No comments: