Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday, September 22 ~Pamela

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Zech 8-14
Today's scripture focus is Matthew 26:17-30


The Last Supper

17 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?”
18 He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’” 19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover.
20 When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21 And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”
22 They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord?”
23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me.24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”
25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”
Jesus answered, “You have said so.”
26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”
27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”
30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.


This week, at our school staff meeting, the Kindergarten teacher started off our meeting with a devotional about being brave. She read us this book about "firsts" and as I was reading today's passage I thought about how as a parent we usually remember the "firsts"-first smile, first step, first lost tooth, first big kid bed, first day of school, first sleepover, etc. But the "lasts" often get forgotten-last diaper change, last time they sneak in your bedroom at night after a bad dream, last time they enjoyed an episode of Dora the Explorer, etc. The only time we really remember the "lasts" is when something traumatic happens - such as the last photo of, or time with, a loved one when they have died. When we think of the Last Supper, we think of it because of what happened next. It's traumatic.

However, what is so comforting is that God is the God of firsts and lasts. He already knows the beginning and he already knows the end. Even during this Last Supper, Jesus is fully aware of what is to come. When the disciples question Him, he has all the answers. This commentary explains:

Jesus told the two disciples that as they entered the city, they would meet a certain man. In Mark, Jesus explained that this man would be carrying a jar of water (Mark 14:13). Ordinarily women, not men, would go to the well and bring home the water. So this man would have stood out in the crowd. This may have been a prearranged signal, or Jesus may have supernaturally known that this man (most likely a servant) would be there and would lead them to the right house. This private location kept the plans secret and security tight. Tradition says that this may have been Mark's home (the writer of the Gospel). If this speculation is true, the owner of the house would have been Mark's father and one of Jesus' followers. He knew exactly who the Teacher was and probably knew the disciples by sight. The disciples did as Jesus directed and made preparations for the others.

Not only did Jesus know that his "appointed time [was] near", he knew where they would eat together for the last time. His disciples followed his instructions and it all came to pass just as he had said. Not only did Jesus know where they would dine that night, he also called Judas out as the one who would betray him. (I've posted on this before but I seriously wonder what Judas would have been thinking.) To be betrayed by someone so close must have been a blow to the other disciples as well because it was obvious they trusted him as well. From this commentary:


Apparently Judas was not obvious as the betrayer. After all, he was the one the disciples were trusting to keep the money (John 12:4-6). So each disciple asked Jesus for assurance: Surely not I, Lord? The Greek form of the question would be rendered, "It is not I, is it?" and implied a negative answer. Each disciple hoped to clear himself and wondered if he would have the courage to remain faithful.


Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."NIV Jesus answered that the betrayer was indeed one of the Twelve, and he added that this betrayer was dipping his bread into the bowl with Jesus. At this time, some food would be eaten from a common dish into which everyone would dip his or her hand. Meat or bread would be dipped into a dish filled with sauce often made from fruit. Jesus' words emphasized the treachery of the betrayer. To eat with a friend and then turn around and betray him was treachery at its worst. Jesus alluded to Psalm 41:9, "Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me" (NIV).

Jesus again demonstrated his knowledge of what would come when he broke the bread and shared the wine with the disciples for the last time. Although they didn't know it would be the last time, Jesus did.

As we go through the "firsts" and the "lasts" in our lives, we can take comfort in knowing that God already knows. He knows it all. How many times in my life have I been struggling with impatience as I wait for things not knowing what the future would hold. I need this reminder that God knows. He was there in the beginning. He will be there at the end. I don't have to worry about the in between.

Tomorrow's scripture focusMatthew 26:31-46
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Est 1-5

No comments: