Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday, February 22 ~ Miriam

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Numbers 1-2.
Today's scripture focus is  Hebrews 11:13-16.

13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.




Does anyone else find that the more you read the Bible and the more time you spend focusing on spending time with God, the more you look forward to heaven?

I don't think we should look forward to heaven so much that we don't enjoy our time here on earth, but I think I'm just starting to come to a place where I can long for a heavenly home in a way I was never able to before.  I never wanted to feel like an alien or stranger on earth.  I think before I was so immersed in all the things I have here that I didn't want to "lose" and there was hesitation, if not fear, of the unknown that happens after we die.  It's all well and good to say we have the assurance of salvation and we're going to Heaven, but it's still really difficult or perhaps impossible for us to have any comprehension of what that will really be like.

Reading my Bible and spending that time with God, making church a priority, getting involved in the children's programs at church, and really making a conscious effort to make Sunday a special day reserved for God and family have all been factors in adjusting my attitudes.  I still enjoy life here on this earth and appreciate all the beauty and amazing blessings God has given us here, but I am now able to say I actually look forward to heaven in a way I never really did before.

Anyone else?

Tomorrow's scripture focus:  Hebrews 11:17-19.
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage:  Numbers 3-4.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Yup, me too. I think another factor contributing to that is knowing I have 2 babies and my dad waiting for me there. And the list of people waiting there will only continue to grow.

I really loved the book "Heaven for Kids" by Randy Alcorn, for myself not just the kids! I've read part of "Heaven" (the adult version) as well but haven't finished it yet. The Bible actually says more about heaven then we think it does sometimes!

What I find awesome about this passage is that all these heroes of faith did not see the ultimate fruition of the promise, but they never gave up hope. I want that same tenacity present in my faith!