Sunday, October 3, 2010

October 3rd - Alicia

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Matthew 6:5-7:6; Luke 6:37-42; Matthew 7:7-20; Luke 6:43-45; Matthew 7:21-29; Luke 6:46-49 (New American Standard Bible)

Scripture:"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words."

Observation: Isn't this the most ironic thing!? We are so use to the Lord's prayer I think we don't see this warning right before it in scripture. How sad that this is EXACTLY what the Lords Prayer has become for us as Christians. This really struck me when my pastor brought it up just two seeks ago. So true, I thought. How often I say the Lord's prayer without really thinking about what I was saying. He broke down the prayer into a more thoughtful observation of what we should be thinking about when we pray.

Application: Here are his points...(thank you to my husband for contributing his notes;)
A. Our Father who art in heaven, holy is your name
- I am not on my own
- All Powerful Father Who Cares for us
- Protection from Pride, Fear, etc.
B. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven...
-What do you want God?
-Your kingdom, not mine!
- Pursue God's Kingdom and his rule.
C. Give us this day our daily bread...
- You are my provision
-Daily implies that I can be glad when I'm given small amounts so I come back
- I am needy and I should be (no self confidence here)
- I depend on God for EVERYTHING!
D. Forgive us our debts, as we forgive others
-Make me realize how much I've been forgiven!
- I am flawed, my friend are flawed, my spouse is flawed
E. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
-Even Jesus prayed this which encourages me that he was tempted
F. For thine is the kingdom and the glory forever....Amen!
- It's all you God! It's all about you, for you through you!


Prayer: Well, just pray the Lords prayer! But think about it. Don't say it mindlessly.


Tomorrow's passage: Matthew 8:5-13; Luke 7:1-17; Matthew 11:1-19; Luke 7:18-35; Matthew 11:20-30; Luke 7:36-50

3 comments:

tammi said...

My NIV Bible just says, "do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heart because of their many words." But now I looked in the notes on that verse and I see they indicate "babbling" means thoughtless repetition. That is VERY interesting, given it immediately precedes the most widely-known, memorized prayer of all time!!!

tammi said...

(oops, that should be HEARD, not heart!.)

Tammy said...

Mindless praying is soul-less praying and won't do anything to improve our relationship with God.

Same thing goes with mindless singing during worship at church!