Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Guest Post By Alicia

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Jeremiah 8:4-11:23

Scripture:
Jeremiah 10:23-24
"I know, O Lord, that a man's way is not in himself,
Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps.
Correct me, O Lord, but with justice;
Not with Your anger, or You will bring me to nothing."

Observation:
I cannot find it within me to obey God or know how to do so. I, like the people of Israel am prone to my own idol worship. Not just one or two, but many. John MacArthur states in his commentary from the passages today that "Judah was so filled with idolatry that there were false deities for every city and a polluted altar on every street." That sounds so polluted and then I remember how easily my own life can become polluted.
I've been thinking a lot on this lately as I just blogged about the abundance of wayward thinking and theology from even inside the "Christian" sphere. One of our major idols in Christianity today probably on the other side of legalism, is the idol of experiential theology. Yet, this verse says so truly that it is not within us to know or direct ourselves.
"Man is incapable of guiding his own life adequately. This prayer shifts to his need of God, who had a plan for Jeremiah before he was even born." John MacArthur
So verse 23 presents the problem and it's a big one. Therefore verse 24 presents a solution. "Correct me" Jeremiah cries.
"Jeremiah saw himself ("Correct Me") in solidarity with his people and understood the nation must be punished, but desired some mercy and moderation; he prayed that God's full fury would be poured on the nations that induced the Jews into idolatry." John MacArthur

Application:
It begins with me, hold high the Word of God. Turn to it, study it, make it first say. Then, be aware of the wrong thinking out there building mental idols of self-made theology and Christianity (I use the term loosely for that is not really what it is at all) and take a stand for why and how it's wrong. Know that any truth is not going to be found in me, or my brother or sister (though God may use them through the Holy Spirit for my direction or growth as long as anything they say does not contradict the Word of God but aligns with it and I am commanded by Paul to find that out like the Bereans. See Acts 17:11)
Pray that God will "correct me", again it starts with me. I can pray that He will glorify himself by correcting those who are declaring mis-truths about Himself or His gospel as well.

Prayer:
Lord, you are the way I don't know and don't possess on my own. You are the truth that will guide me and that knows my beginning, journey, and end. Let me not direct myself but seek your direction for your Glory and not mine. Thank you that you guide me with loving justice and correct me which saves me from a pit of despair.
Help me to ask you daily for this correction and speak my dependance on You in this way.
The balm so to speak, for this set of verses is found in chapter 9:24
"but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the Lord.

Help me not boast in my knowledge, experience, understanding, but in You and all You define YOURSELF to be.





Tomorrow's passage:
Jeremiah 12-15:21

1 comment:

Tammy said...

That passage jumped out at me too. I can't be concerned with my own plan for my life, but God's plan for my life. Easier said than done that's for sure.