Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4-Nicole's post

Today's readings are taken from Numbers 16:1-18:32

I found today's a little hard to find something, something that God was teaching me or wanted me to know.

It starts with Korah, Dathan and Abiram challenging Moses and Aaron. Korah was part of the Levites, he had a special part in the service of the Lord in the Tabernacle but that wasn't enough for him. I guess just now it has come to me, that sometimes we want more, but sinfully more. We think we can do better, we think we are worth having more responsibility, but God says when we are faithful with little he will give us more. Korah and the others proved they weren't faithful with the task they were assigned. So even though you may think turning the kettle on in the morning and getting cakes out for church isn't much, you are doing your part. If you are faithful in that, do it with a right heart, God will see that and bless it. Korah and the others were not blessed, they were consumed because of the sinfulness in their heart and the wanting of more...

So I guess God has spoken to me, be content. That's a big one for me. To be content. Wow. I don't need to be striving to do all these things to impress him or others, I just need to the very best with what I can do and what He has given me to do.

Tomorrow's reading is from Numbers 19:1-21:35

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I don't know if I've ever REALLY paid attention to this story before. I think if the right person did it, this could be a great movie! You've got the reluctant "heroes," Moses & Aaron, vs. the "bad guys" - 250 men led by 3 insolent jerks. You've got the earth opening up to swallow three tents and three households WHOLE, you've got the fire of the Lord demolishing the other 250 who burned incense, and you've got a plague that our heroes have to hurry and take action against to stop with people dropping dead of a plague around them. Dramatic stuff!

Very serious consequences for sin are demonstrated in this story. Not only are the three men swallowed up by the earth, but their wives, children, and everyone belonging to their households as well as all their possessions. But STILL the people grumbled against Moses and Aaron, bringing a plague upon themselves. Obviously I can't say how I would've behaved in those circumstances, but I find it so difficult to watch them doing this over and over again. And yet, don't I sin over and over again? I find it very frustrating in myself as well. To KNOW better and WANT to do better and yet realize all too often "Look what you just did/said." Frustrating. But I know God will finish what he started. Someday I hope to be able to say "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7

Tammy said...

I find it strange how often these people keep obviously defying God in the face of such serious consequences! I could see myself going along with the grumbling (which would still be wrong), but not the outright defiance and trying to usurp leadership positions.

Definitely dramatic chapters. I love the part about Aaron's staff budding. I love it when God shows His power so clearly like that.